Roelf_le_Roux

Re: Lifting spare wheel on Gen 4(NS/BK) Pajero-towing

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:10 am

Well done Cats.. thanks to you and Uys.

Ar
Arnie

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:46 am

I for one am really excited to see a locally available fix for this frustrating problem. As a regular tower I am a buyer. Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread and to this solution.
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:24 pm

I see Stofpad have now announced the price at R950.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Awesome news Cats, thanks for sharing. Now, seeing as you live close to Uys compared to me why don't you get him to design a rear bumper replacement part for the silver section under the spare wheel. In other words, a steel plate to prevent the scoop effect. Let us know when the development is complete ;)
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Cats,

I am also not a technician/mechanic/ets. I am a retired SAAF pilot that still flies for fun. When I started with a Pajero and needed to kit it out for a trip to the Richtersfeld and Angola, I went to a few "kitters-outers" to get the necessary equipment and left all of them without buying anything and totally shocked. The prices and quality of the various pieces required did not match and I decided then to use my God given brain to try and design/develop the pieces needed.

The first item on the agenda was the ability to carry extra petrol - 200 lit extra. The total quoted price for that ability was close to R10 000,00!! My price ± R1 000,00 - and that included an electric fuel pump plus filter. Cheap at the price. And so it kept on developing - roof rack, water tanks, dual battery, etc, etc.

I hate being ripped off if for a short thinking session, some rough drawings, some footwork and then Bob is your uncle at much less that 50% of the quoted price. The big problem with our modern society is that if one pours money onto a problem somebody will solve it and get rich and the followers will make him even richer. When on the forum members started talking about lifting the spare wheel, I askes a few questions, got some answers and said that I think it will be possible to "design" and make a plate quite cheaply. A few guys said they will be willing to provide a Gen 4 test bed - and maybe assist with some ideas - but in the end nothing. I would still like to see and compare a Stofpad plate to mine and then to decide if my plate need some improvement.

Cloyd
Roelf_le_Roux

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:00 pm

And now to kick some life into this thread.

Cloyd and I had a look at my standard setup during the TITDs weekend and Cloyd now has a final product ready for my fire engine. He is a touch worried about the "lid" over the spare, but we will burn that bridge come Saturday.

Well actually, Cloyd will have to burn that one on his own, as I plan to be getting some wind in my hair while blasting down the road in his AC Cobra
Roelf_le_Roux

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:59 pm

The Cobra now has a clean burnt carb and my tupé will never be on straight againImage Image Image

250kw pushing a 1200kg car is a serious WOW experience.
Last edited by Roelf_le_Roux on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roelf_le_Roux

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Oh and yes, the old Pajero spare wheel is a good 50mm higher.
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 am

Allow me to recap on my experience.
1) The thickness of the lifting plate is crucial. Too thin and the tyre will catch the wiper, too thick and the tyre will rub against the cover. The cover has a lip into which the rubber trim fits, if you cut away the lip, the rubber won't fit anymore.

2) The elevated wheel doesn't look odd at all and the view in the mirror is also not remarkably different.

3) The standard wheel "bolts" have to be discarded and replaced with wheel nuts that fasten onto the studs on the lift plate. Cloyd went the extra mile to source nuts that match the standard wheel spanner size.

I now have to start experimenting with my trailer and caravan to determine what the best position will be for the tow ball - lifted and possibly nearer to the car.

My question now is: will a second hole in the bar, that slides into car's attachment, significantly weaken the bar?
En
EngelbrechtP

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi all my fellow Pajero fans,
I am also the type that always try to fix my space- and cargo carrying problems myself. My roof rack and drawer system are both DIY and works well. These two items both stood up to the rough roads for which the Pajeros were built for.

I need ideas on how to carry at least 100liters of fuel safely (the left hand side below the car is completely taken up by the front driveshaft and the exhaust, thus zero chance of a second tank).
I aim to carry 4X20liter Jerry cans inside plastic crates and strapped down inside the vehicle with 4X5liter jerries on the front of the roof rack, also inside a strapped down plastic crate.
It might be possible to carry 2X5's on swing arms next to the central spare wheel, but I don't know if it has been done before. Any other ideas will be most welcome.

By the way I am of the opinion that the centrally located spare wheel on the door is just about the most unpractical thing that Mitsubishi could have done with the new models. When it was off-center, there at least was space for something like a jerrycan holder or even a second spare.

Return to “DIY Projects (Mods and Rebuilds)”

Login · Register