Gen 2.5 Lexus V8 conversion

re
renier.dejongh

Re: Gen 2.5 Lexus V8 conversion

Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Ernie, nou is ons darem nuuskierig hoor. Ons het jou nou genoeg tyd gegee. Hoe het dit toe afgeloop? Enige nuus oor daai Shorty van jou?

Kan ons kom help?

Renier

pa
paw_by_paw

Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Ernie dice seker van robot tot robot in Witbank om te toets of alles oraait is :mrgreen:
Er
Ernie

Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Net 'n Update. Dinge gaan dol by die werk. Die Toyjero of Payota is fine. Als lyk ok en klink OK op die stadium. Ek vat dit nog kalm en rustig. Aanvangklik het ek overheating probleme gehad en nog so paar klein goedjies. Ek is tans besig om die binnekant klaar te maak. die nuwe guages in te sit en die wiring uit te sorteer. Dan ook 'n radio insit. Ek neem nog video en fotos maar sal later die thread afsluit met als wat ek het. Op die oomblik is tyd bietjie min.

Net een laaste ding wat ek wil noem is, die kostes het my verbaas. As ek so vinning somme maak het dit in totaal so R15K gekos. So vir die wat dit self kan doen en 'n bestaande auto box het is dit relatief maklik en goedkoop. Baie goedkoper as om die ou engine reg te maak. Die ander Pajero sal ook die roete gaan. Miskien net die 5 speed tiptronic box gebruik in pleks van die 4 speed auto.
Er
Ernie

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:53 am

Another Update.

It has been some time since my last post here. Work is finally returning to normal :P The Pajero is not running :( The reason is (A.) a faulty Computer box or a faulty crank sensor. It was going very well and all and started to stutter and losing power. Then I started searching and came to the above conclusion. I might just go to Spitronics today to have the box tested. By the way, Great service from them.

In the time from my last post to now I have also modified small things from the initial mod. Like piping, location of some stuff. My ordered gauges for the inside upgrade never made it. No stock. So I cant get a complete set :( But I have something else in mind :twisted:
Ch
Christoff

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:38 am

Hay Ernie ek wil graag weet watse motor jy het is dit die 1uz-vvti die 4L? en is dit moontlik om my manual boks te hou met die conversion? :?:
Ek geniet jou projek baie!!
hoop jy sort die managment vinnig uit!!!
Er
Ernie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am

Christoff, Ek het die 1uz-ef daar in. die normale een sonder vvt. Maar as ek die storie reg verstaan is die vvti een omtrent die selfde, net die prys is nie.

Ek het ook vir jou PM gestuur.
an
andref

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:21 am

Hi Christoff

I'm in the process of fitting a Lexus V8 to my manual Pajero. It is a Gen3, but the concept is the same. In many ways some say that this type of conversion is easier if you have a manual box since you can leave everything back from the firewall the same. You need to have an adaptor and flywheel made up, but this is not a problem for a decent engineering shop. One would generally try to keep the standard clutch and pressure plate for ease of maintenance later.

On the engine side. There are a number of 1UZ-FE variants, but the most common ones you find in SA these days are the front sump engine from the LS400 and the (far fewer) VVTi version of the same (the 1UZ engines are all 4.0l). The non-VVTi engine is much cheaper to buy and is slightly shorter (VVTi gears cause the engine to have two steel caps that protrude a bit out front). Management is also very well sorted these days for the non-VVTi engine. That said, the VVTi has a little more power and torque, but IMHO not worth the extra cost.

There are a whole bunch of articles on how decipher which engine is which, but at a very high level I generally look for the engines that have the square plastic shroud that covers the engine top. This will be the later generation high compression engine (around 200kw/390Nm). You can check the plug leads for dates, they should be printed with a year, although these could have been changed at some point so is not foolproof.

The big issue with conversions is the sump. Front sump engines are far more available, but you can get rear sumps separately from some of the importers. They are a direct swap between engines. If you are handy with making things you could probably modify/build your own for less than buying one. You can get the CAD drawings of the sump flange off the Internet which is a good start if you want to build your own. The sump from the Land Cruiser 2UZ engine also fits, but they are like hens teeth in SA.

Just my 2c...
Ch
Christoff

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks allot!!! you may be hearing more from me later on :mrgreen:
eks sommer jaloers op julle V8 manne!!!
He
Henco1968

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:58 am

Hallo AndreF

Hoe ver is jy met jou ombouing? Ek het 'n 2000 model Gen 3 manual wat ek ook wil laat doen. Graag wil ek verneem van jou pyne met jou ombouings proses en watter management sisteem het jy gebruik vir die lexus?

Groete Hennie
andref wrote:Hi Christoff

I'm in the process of fitting a Lexus V8 to my manual Pajero. It is a Gen3, but the concept is the same. In many ways some say that this type of conversion is easier if you have a manual box since you can leave everything back from the firewall the same. You need to have an adaptor and flywheel made up, but this is not a problem for a decent engineering shop. One would generally try to keep the standard clutch and pressure plate for ease of maintenance later.

On the engine side. There are a number of 1UZ-FE variants, but the most common ones you find in SA these days are the front sump engine from the LS400 and the (far fewer) VVTi version of the same (the 1UZ engines are all 4.0l). The non-VVTi engine is much cheaper to buy and is slightly shorter (VVTi gears cause the engine to have two steel caps that protrude a bit out front). Management is also very well sorted these days for the non-VVTi engine. That said, the VVTi has a little more power and torque, but IMHO not worth the extra cost.

There are a whole bunch of articles on how decipher which engine is which, but at a very high level I generally look for the engines that have the square plastic shroud that covers the engine top. This will be the later generation high compression engine (around 200kw/390Nm). You can check the plug leads for dates, they should be printed with a year, although these could have been changed at some point so is not foolproof.

The big issue with conversions is the sump. Front sump engines are far more available, but you can get rear sumps separately from some of the importers. They are a direct swap between engines. If you are handy with making things you could probably modify/build your own for less than buying one. You can get the CAD drawings of the sump flange off the Internet which is a good start if you want to build your own. The sump from the Land Cruiser 2UZ engine also fits, but they are like hens teeth in SA.

Just my 2c...
an
andref

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:28 am

Hi Hennie

I have started a new thread in this section describing my build. Take a look there, I'll be updating as we go along. So far things are going surprisingly well, but we are a way off yet.

Andre

Return to “DIY Projects (Mods and Rebuilds)”

Login · Register