Gen 2.5 Lexus V8 conversion

Er
Ernie

Re: Gen 2.5 Lexus V8 conversion

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Just a update. All is wel with the payota. Had some small probs to sort out and had to mod some stuff to get it like I wanted it to be. Like the shifter for instance broke the center console because of some off road antics. It has a solid link not a cable like normal so a standard shifter was not up to it. Made my own and added rubber joints and all was ok. Some overheating probs as well and sorted it with two electric fans. steering pump hoses sprung a leak. mostly small stuff.

I will be redoing the interior next. Then a paint job. Also bought a powder coating setup so will redo the bits of the motor in powder in the next two to three weeks. :)

Fr
Freshman

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi Ernie,

I have the same year Paj as yours - also an auto so I was reading your article with great intrest.

Seems like your final cost is still under 20K which is great.

A few questions:
How much would a Jap replacement engine have been?
Looking back - would you say it was worth it if you concider the power diffrence, consumption, realiability (stuck with a hybrit in the bush) etc etc.

Are these Lexus engines really that much better than the stock 3.5 Paj engines?

Please list some pros and cons between going the Jap replacement vs Lexus route if you don't mind.
(PS: I will not consider a rebuild as it takes way too long and very costly).

Thanks once again for your input.

Cheers
Pierre
ta
taljaard

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:53 am

Good day all .I am looking for some advise ,I am busy with a conversion on my pajero 97 6g74 manual ,installing a lexus ,can anyone tell me if I have to change the sump or will it fit like it is ,and how does the lexus fit in the pajero are there any obstacles that I should be aware off.
Palexus

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:32 pm

No you need a custom Sump. Radiator needs to move into/under the cradle, right hand exhaust manifold is extremely close to the steering shaft so that needs to be changed. No space for visco or hydraulic fan so electric fan motors. Image
ImageImage
la
larry007

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

[quote="Palexus"]No you need a custom Sump. Radiator needs to move into/under the cradle, right hand exhaust manifold is extremely close to the steering shaft so that needs to be changed. No space for visco or hydraulic fan so electric fan motors.

I also have a 3Core Aluminium Radiator under the cradle, but it seems slightly small. What are the dimensions on yours? I have a VW 1800 plastic water resevoir bottle fitted, but it doesn't seem big enough and am contemplating my Kombi's ;) ;)

My temps are running at 93-96'C at cruising speeds of 100-110kph - how hot is your motor running then? In town the fan occasionally kicks in and cools the motor as I would expect, but I am slightly concerned on the size of the radiator.
Mrme4u
Vehicle: 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5v6

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Ernie wrote:Net 'n Update. Dinge gaan dol by die werk. Die Toyjero of Payota is fine. Als lyk ok en klink OK op die stadium. Ek vat dit nog kalm en rustig. Aanvangklik het ek overheating probleme gehad en nog so paar klein goedjies. Ek is tans besig om die binnekant klaar te maak. die nuwe guages in te sit en die wiring uit te sorteer. Dan ook 'n radio insit. Ek neem nog video en fotos maar sal later die thread afsluit met als wat ek het. Op die oomblik is tyd bietjie min.

Net een laaste ding wat ek wil noem is, die kostes het my verbaas. As ek so vinning somme maak het dit in totaal so R15K gekos. So vir die wat dit self kan doen en 'n bestaande auto box het is dit relatief maklik en goedkoop. Baie goedkoper as om die ou engine reg te maak. Die ander Pajero sal ook die roete gaan. Miskien net die 5 speed tiptronic box gebruik in pleks van die 4 speed auto.
Hi
I am finally starting my engine swap on my Blister fender Pajero with a 1UZ Lexus V8. I am a little bit worried about the auto transmission.
My plan is to use the Lexus shaft and gears and transfer that into the pajero Transmission.

Will this work? Or do i need to do more.
Which ecu will control the transmission is it the Lexus ECU
Or the Pajero ECU
Or both
How to wire that up.

Thank you
la
larry007

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:50 am

Mrme4u wrote:
Ernie wrote:Net 'n Update. Dinge gaan dol by die werk. Die Toyjero of Payota is fine. Als lyk ok en klink OK op die stadium. Ek vat dit nog kalm en rustig. Aanvangklik het ek overheating probleme gehad en nog so paar klein goedjies. Ek is tans besig om die binnekant klaar te maak. die nuwe guages in te sit en die wiring uit te sorteer. Dan ook 'n radio insit. Ek neem nog video en fotos maar sal later die thread afsluit met als wat ek het. Op die oomblik is tyd bietjie min.

Net een laaste ding wat ek wil noem is, die kostes het my verbaas. As ek so vinning somme maak het dit in totaal so R15K gekos. So vir die wat dit self kan doen en 'n bestaande auto box het is dit relatief maklik en goedkoop. Baie goedkoper as om die ou engine reg te maak. Die ander Pajero sal ook die roete gaan. Miskien net die 5 speed tiptronic box gebruik in pleks van die 4 speed auto.
Hi
I am finally starting my engine swap on my Blister fender Pajero with a 1UZ Lexus V8. I am a little bit worried about the auto transmission.
My plan is to use the Lexus shaft and gears and transfer that into the pajero Transmission.

Will this work? Or do i need to do more.
Which ecu will control the transmission is it the Lexus ECU
Or the Pajero ECU
Or both
How to wire that up.

Thank you
I don't have the technical skills to advise, but know that it has been documented in other threads, maybe on the POCSA forum if not here. I can only imagine that the transmission control will not be working optimally with either to be honest. One can try both, but you can consider an aftermarket TCU and have full control and maps for different scenarios.
Dirtynp
Vehicle: 2002 np Pajero

Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm

Hey mate
I’m all the way over here in Australia
Can I ask which Lexus engine gearbox you used when mating it with the Pajero automatic?
I have a gen3 nm/p with the v5a auto
Am planing to use a a uzfe engine
Thanks Toby

Return to “DIY Projects (Mods and Rebuilds)”

Login · Register