Gen 4 Roofrack Options

Your bog standard Pajero not quite what you want it to be?
Sc
Scubadude

Gen 4 Roofrack Options

Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday we unpacked our caravan before selling it, and looking at the pile of camping kit that came out of it we are in serious trouble space-wise. We got a Conqueror Conquest, which has fair load carrying capacity, but I fear way to little packing space. We use all three rows of seats, so I have to look up for help.

Roof racks for the Gen 4 LWB ... what are the options? I understand the factory-fitted rails are purely cosmetic, hence not of much use. So a proper fitted rack will be the only option. Having replaced the Pajero and caravan in quick succession cash is tight so I'm looking to buy second hand.
Some questions:

- Of the better-known brands, which are worth considering? Frontrunner, African Outback / Big Country, what else?
- Can I fit a roof rack that came off another vehicle, e.g. Fortuner? Can the rails be made to fit?
- I believe it is necessary to drop the roof lining to bolt the brackets or rails ... is this a DIY job or best left to a fitment center?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Francois

PS: towing the caravan home from storage was my first opportunity to do a real comparison in towing performance between the Gen 4 Did and Gen 3 V6. The Gen 3 was a great towcar. But it is no match for the Gen 4 diesel. Yes, Roelf, it's starting to grow on me ...

pfgrobler
Vehicle: Mishubishie Pajero 3.2Di-d 2006 Auto GLX

Re: Gen 4 Roofrack Options

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm interested as well.
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I had the rails fitted by a 4x4 shop, the whole rooflining has to come down to bolt the tracks in place. I paid R1100 about 18months ago. I got the Big Country Roofrack from the same place for R2000, a complete bargain but they were struggling to sell it on consignment for someone. I wouldn't install the tracks DIY.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Sc
Scubadude

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks Kurt ...

Next question ... Any rear door ladders available for the Gen 4 or is it bumper - spare wheel - roof?
MThompson
Vehicle: 2002 Pajero 3.2Di-D GLS Auto 5dr

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:12 pm

I DIYed a frontrunner roof rack on my GEN3 (I really miss my pajero :( )

DIY for the frontrunner on a gen3 with the factory fitted rails isn't that bad and I believe the gen 4 shouldn't be much different as the tracks for the gen 3 and gen 4 from frontrunner is the same......just plenty screws to undo, all the grab handles, vents etc has to come out, about an hours job on it's own.

Roof lining then gets dropped and you have access to the bolts for the factory fitted rails. Undo these bolts and remove the factory fitted rails. Next part is the hardest......the front runner tracks has extra mounting holes, so you need to drill one extra hole per track and drilling into your vehicle....not a nice feeling. If you don't have factory fitted rails.....you need to drill all the holes....eina.

Once this is done, fit the tracks, make sure you fit as per instructions to ensure no leaks (some silicone needs to be applied).

Lift roof lining, and start putting everything back together again. It's a Saturday afternoon job if you take it slow and read the manual more than once.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:33 pm

I know the clever guys say "don't attach clamp-ons to the existing rails". I'm not going to say you should. All I can say is I have been using my clamp-on since I bought my 2003 more than a decade ago. I find it super convenient and have never had a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9305
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Clamp on is fine if you limit the weight...

4 jerries, a spare tyre, wood and camping chairs is my usual setup (and water tank on some trips). It's beyond what the specs say you can put on the roof but I just drive slowly :)

Agree with above comments... Depending on your diy skill, rather leave it to the guys to drop the roof lining.

I'm a front runner fan, but didn't like the old roof racks they made - they tended to sag in middle. I also rate the African outback - its probably over engineered, but doesn't flinch to take a 150kg load.
Karl

Sc
Scubadude

Sun May 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by Scubadude on Sun May 10, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sc
Scubadude

Sun May 10, 2015 10:11 pm

I eventually decided to do it properly, so the roof rails came off and the tracks went on. 4x4MW in Menlyn Retail Park have some Desert racks (looks like Chinese reproductions of the African Outback Design) for a decent price and will give discount if you smile and ask nicely. The supplied and fitted the rack, tracks and a Brad Harrison charging cable for R 7800 all in ... not bad I think.
mitsenoj
Vehicle: 2013 LWB 3.2 DiD

Mon May 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi RoelfleRoux which type of strap on type did you go for - I keep most of my heavy stuff on the trailer and like the convenience of the rails.
Tim - Port Elizabeth
2000 Gen 3 3.2 DiD - LWB (Sold)
2013 Gen 4 3.2 DiD - LWB - Exceed

Return to “Vehicle Accessories”

Login · Register