Offroad Trailers

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Pi
Pieter van Driel

Re: Offroad Trailers

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi Simon,

I recently baught my Pajero and I am also looking around for a trailer, so I'm no expert. There is so much to choose from and it is difficult to make up your mind what will suite you best. A friend of mine suggested I visit the Dessert Wolf factory - a farm outside Preoria out on Lynwood Road. When I saw their product, my mind was just about made up. Everything is stainless steel with a suspension that should be able to take any terrain. As I said, I'm no expert, but I recognise quality when I see it.

Only problem is, it costs a lot. One can start with the base and add on the rest as your budget allows. Also, they build it to suite your vehicle and your needs. I have met the owner and he is a real "boer maak 'n plan" type person. He even offered a parking space for my trailer - I don't have much space at home.

Maybe its worth your while visiting their website: http://www.desert-wolf.com/. They manufacture for the military, but you will find there trailers under "4x4 Camping Trailers". After I have seen there trailers up close, nothing else seems to be good enough anymore.

All the best.

Pieter van Driel

KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 am

And my 2cw....

I think they (trailers as well as caravans) are overpriced.

I have had the dream of owning one too. I must say though the price of these units does not make any economical sense at all. I would rather take the R100,000 to R150,000 and use that for a Chalet.

There was a write up in the SA 4x4 about 18 / 24 months back and basically the payback period (from my rusty memory) was around 8 years before one breaks even taking into account the fuel and wear and tear of the car too. Same as a boat which Ive also wanted :twisted:

For us, a family of three, the 4 to 6 camping trips a year, we do in a tent on the ground, which is OK (as long as I dont forget the blow up mattresses like on the last trip :? ) Also, we've managed a 4 week trip through Namibia with everything packed and strapped in and on top of the Pajero 8-) Some days, yes, it was frustrating, but it worked well.
Ti
Tim S

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi all,

I have an Echo 4 and purches it 2nd hand some 2-3 years ago. I paid for it what it cost new 2 years earlier and can sell it now for what I paid for it. When it comes to price yes they do seem expencive, but you must considder that you are also paying for the research and development which has gone into the item which in our market is not mass produced. You can buy a Campmaster trailer and kit it out for half the price, but can it keep the fine dust from off-roading out and can you water cross and keep everything dry? Certainly not. It's pretty much "you get what you pay for". It comes down to what you want to acheive with it which determines what you buy. I cannot see myself dragging a big bedroom around the country (caravan) so therefore I like the trailer. Quite frankly it's magnificent and compared to a caravan, it's a fraction of the weight and much more versatile. We are a family of 4 (kids are teenagers) and we can comfortably camp selfsustained for 3 weeks without needing and re-stocking anything. We take everything we have which includes a large webber, potjie, skottel skaar, tables, chairs, fishing kit & rods, diving stuff, umbrella, all food, drinks, water and the list goes on. We realy live off the cuff and we do and eat whatever we fancy, prepared in whatever way we want. Thats freedom. The best thing is nothing goes in or on my car. I'll try to post some pictures for you to see. If you like you can come by my place and see my trailer. I would not sell it for the world.

Tim
Attachments
Full kit - Namibia.JPG
Ti
Tim S

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm

One key factor which makes a huge difference is the kitchen. The layout of mine is such that it invites people to come visit. I have had many people amazed at the social character of the set-up. To safely leave the camp site takes 10 secods to close up and lock.

Good luck with your choice Simon.
DSC00724.JPG
DSC00155.JPG
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Well this weekend saw our first experience of camping with an offroad trailer and I must say we're hooked!

My BIL has bought an Echo3 which we are free to use when not being used. So we grasped the opportunity with both hands. At this stage we do not have the means to buy our own but we can save up and investigate all avenues in the meantime.

Some observations:
1) Kitchen is the biggest plus of the trailer and is possibly the main drawcard for the wife.
2) Trailer top tents are not for toddlers :)
3) We were a little disappointed at the amount if space in the bottom section of the tent. If you have two up top and a double mattress at the bottom there's not much place to put kitbags etc.
4) The Echo towed well but you can definitely feel it is there. Some people say you shouldn't be able to feel the trailer if it's properly set up (other than the effect of the weight). While I had no issues with swaying I could definitely feel the trailer.
5) The Pajero towed well but lacks the torque to get up Howhoek and Sir Lowries without running through the gears to keep the revs up. But I could still keep up with an unladen 300 DMAX Suzie. On the level overtaking was not an issue.

So, anyone willing to donate a trailer to a good home ? :)
Br
BrianW

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Simon
I bought a Metalian a few months ago and am delighted with the quality. No other trailer can match the Metalian no matter which aspect you consider. I did extensive research on all the makes before I bought. I have the Howling Moon trailer top tent and my wife and I are very pleased with the ease of use and the quality. If you talk to Heinz at Metalian he has a demo model which you can try before you buy.
Good luck.
BrianW
SimonB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 am

Brian

Metalian is probably the route I would follow. Do you have pictures of the trailer with tent? What extras did you have fitted and if I can be so bold as to ask what the all up cost was?
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 am

Simon,

My personal take on this subject:
1)I avoided a trailer for more than a decade of overlanding - believed it to be the reliability weak link. I sported some seriously overloaded roof racks during that decade :oops:

2)Eventually (about 10 years ago) bought a 6ft BSA trailer from a 4x4 shop in Nelspruit. It looks like a normal Venter trailer. The 13" wheels run in the Pajero wheel tracks.

This trailer has been all over Southern Africa and has been completely reliable. I have actually used up a pair of tires on the trailer. The benefits of a trailer like that is
a)Purchase price is a fraction of a big 4x4 trailer
b)It weighs a fraction of a big trailer - whenever I come across one of those big trailers in a 4x4 shop, I always grab the nose to feel the weight - man there is a huge difference.
c)I really and honestly do NOT feel the thing behind the Pajero
d)The potential "flimsyness" of the trailer forces me to take more care when off the road, and this in return means that I take more care of the Pajero as well.
e)It offers more than enough load space and serves as a lock-up pantry in the camp, ideal in monkey country

Potential drawbacks - compared to a big real 4x4 trailer:
a)Does not allow for a RT tent
b)Can not share spare wheels between car and trailer
c)Will not keep up with a Gauteng racing driver with a 4x4 trailer off the road
d)Have to endure discriminatory looks whenever I come across a real 4x4-er with a real 4x4 trailer. I have to confess, my setup doesn't look at all as if I'm on my way to the bush: stock standard Pajero with a normal looking trailer.

All four drawbacks above do not phase me in the least.

Roelf
Attachments
100_6068.JPG
100_5811.JPG
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:10 am

Having grown up in a camping/caravanning family, and extending that into my family, I can contribute my experiences.

To start off, I'm not for the minimalistic type of camping (canvas over the roof of the vehicle and living our of the back of the vehicle) :D
I enjoy my comforts (within limits).

There are many points that hold true for any of the following modes of 'camping':
  • tents
  • off-road trailer
  • caravan
Apply them to any of these to improve the experience.

The following items make for a pleasurable camping experience:
  • the correct equipment (not necessarily a lot)
  • adequate storage (to keep 'things' off the floor/ground), We eg pack all clothing in Wolf-packs or similar - it keeps it dry, tidy and dust-free. No 'suit-cases'
  • adequate preparation area (tables)
  • comfortable seating
  • well-equipped kitchen, where the whole family can be involved in food preparation
  • enough 'cold storage'.
  • wash-up facilities (if you are not camping where there is a communal facility). We prefer to have this outside the tent, with a small table for stacking
  • well-sorted system of extension leads and lighting (keep them dry)
  • protection from the elements (sun, wind, rain, surface water)
  • drying facility for laundry
  • my box of tools and equipment (cable ties, wire, rope, tape, basic tools etc)
If a camping trip is not well organised, it becomes a "schlepp" rather than a pleasure.

One of the most important points to remember is that you are not equipped to have a good camping trip, by using what comes with your purchase of either trailer or caravan. The difference is in what you add to the set-up.

When we had a caravan, we had the policy of not using the interior for a kitchen / dining (except while on the road or extreme weather conditions).
The off-road trailer forces you into this thinking! ;)

How does an off-road trailer fit into this?
It is relatively easy to tow.
It is great for storage.
Once at the camp site, it becomes:
  • base tor the roof top tent
  • anchor for the tent
  • storage room
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
SimonB
Site Admin

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:25 am

The one thing that must be considered a massive plus, is the fact that the wife got excited about camping with the trailer. The kitchen unit was for her just the best, having all crockery, utensils, the stove and the ability to wash etc all within easy reach.

We didnt have the perfect experience of course because the trailer wasnt mine to modify and there would be things done differently if it were mine.

What does intruige me though is the total lack of smaller trailers which are basically a mobile covered kitchen and storage. The Tent is not for me a massive advantage, but an undercover kitchen is.
Simon Bloomer

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register