Allow me to voice my personal taste and opinion.
Firstly the facts:
1. We're a family of two (Wife and I)
2. I'm lazy.
3. I don't leave everything to the wife so even being lazy I must set up the campsite only with the help of a small petite wife; 1.6m tall. I myself 1.7m tall/short.
You might think this is stupid facts but when you're in the outdoor's there's no ladders or always extra help around. I like things to be practical and easy. I'm out there to relax and enjoy, not there to work myself to the ground.
1. I prefer a trailer design with good clearance behind the wheels. Going off road we all have seen how the Bakkies battle with clearance at the back and some off road trailers have the same problem. If you're not going places where off road obsticals are a problem then you don't have to take these facts into consideration at all. In my situation - very important!
2. The trailer tent will be your home wile in the bush. You must really shop around to see the various options available. There are many brands out there and it comes to personal taste but also to practicality ans SPACE!!!!!!!
I'm not going to go into Brand bashing at all. I'll high lite the facts the made me decide on the TENTCO trailer tent. The room area is one off the biggest currently available and the rooftop tent with the extra awning and sidewalls were very competitively priced. I was amazed at the price
Back to the trailers: Echo is a good brand and the Echo 3/4 & 5 are very good trailers. Price is a bit steep but wat isn't today!
I had a look at the following 3 designs. All having good clearance behind the wheels.
1. Dakar 1 (Challenger/Wilderness) Same manufacturer.
2. Jurgens XT 140
3. Conqueror Courage!
Now please remember (Personal choice and family of two)
I eventually opted for the Dakar 1 but made some alterations. Nothing on the market will satisfy anyone on this earth anyhow! Isn't that the nice part about life - what works for one will not always work for the other - BUT, my ideas might help create yours.
I had the lid remove with the lid rack and had a box made up with 5 doors. See Picture. I have a drawer at the back and a rail system for four ammo boxes. The fridge freezer is mounted on a sliding drawer. (I have a 90l NL)
I had to install the electrical system myself but seeing that I do understand - & + and black and red & AC from DC (Electronics as school subject) I designed a system for my personal needs and use. Will post the detail of that at later stage. Rather interesting if I must say so myself!
But have a look at the pic of the final product so far (There will always be something to change) and please comment! You may even be so blunt and say you hate it - I don't mind negative feedback at all.
Enjoy the fact finding mission you're on Simon
One last pic: When I'm not using the trailer: There's no better tent option than a dome tent!
Cheers All! Hope you enjoy my input Simon!