Deepcycle Battery Info Needed

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
qoda
Vehicle: Pajero 3.0 v6 1994

Deepcycle Battery Info Needed

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:50 am

My current battery has given up the ghost and i was wondering if it would be advisable to get a Deepcycle Battery in it's place. The reason I ask this is because she stands during the week and is only used on weekends.

I'd also like to get a second Deepcycle Battery at a later stage.to run a snowmaster fridge.
Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Re: Deepcycle Battery Info Needed

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 am

You may want to read this thread:viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3986
Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Deep cycle as a main battery??? If so. No, not advisable.

How old is your current battery? Keep in mind a 2 to 3 year lifespan is not a bad innings for a battery.
qoda

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks for the reply. Glad i asked. I'm guessing the battery is about 3 years old, so i don't have an issue replacing it.

Any suggestions on who to go to for a dual battery system? I obviously can't run the fridge off the main battery.
cndavel
Vehicle: pajero swb 3.2 did, pajero lwb 3.2 did

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 am

No! Don't used a DC Battery as your main battery. I have lost two DC Batt's in a year. Stick to a normal starter battery, most alternators cannot charge a DC battery fully.

Cheers
CD
qoda

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks
qoda

Re: Re: Deepcycle Battery Info Needed

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:19 am

cndavel wrote:No! Don't used a DC Battery as your main battery. I have lost two DC Batt's in a year. Stick to a normal starter battery, most alternators cannot charge a DC battery fully.

Cheers
Just one other question if the alternator can't charge a deepcycle battery as the primary, how does it have the capacity to charge a second battery in the case of a dual battery system?

Also does the primary batteries lifespan diminish in this type of setup?
paw_by_paw
Vehicle: 3.5 L Pajero LWB Blister Fender

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 pm

I found this in Austalia. The prices are good so my stuff is on the way. I searched all over SA for prices and even with marginal discounts and with delivery cost to SA I still about two thousand cheaper.
Part Number and prices Matson Products.docx
(33.35 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
''Life Can Be Good - It Can Be Exceptional Too ' !!!
andrew.ashton
Vehicle: Pajero DID3.2 LWB Auto (2002)

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 pm

qoda wrote:My current battery has given up the ghost and i was wondering if it would be advisable to get a Deepcycle Battery in it's place. The reason I ask this is because she stands during the week and is only used on weekends.

I'd also like to get a second Deepcycle Battery at a later stage.to run a snowmaster fridge.
1.You should not use a deep cycle battery for starter duties.
2. Most batteries that are casually referred to as deep cycle batteries are not deep cycle batteries.
3. One of the difficult choices you have to make is:
3a. Charge starter battery and Aux battery in parallel (directly from alternator, but via an isolation solenoid e.g. from National Luna) or
3b. Charge the Aux battery via a DC to DC charger.

In the latter case (3b) you have more control over the charge state of the Aux battery - but at the cost of not being able to "simply" parallel the two batteries in emergencies (e.g. to use the Aux battery as an emergency starter battery or for winch boost)

Your choice of which method to use may also depend on where you plan to locate the Aux battery - under bonnet or at the back of your vehicle / or in a trailer. The further the distance between your alternator and Aux battery, the more you should favour DC to DC charger.

When you choose a DC to DC charger you have another dilemma - locate the DC to DC unit near the alternator/main battery or locate near the Aux battery. The dilemma comes about because the correct charge voltage for your battery is not only dependant on battery chemistry (lead calcium / lead crystal / Gel / AGM / ...), but also significantly on battery temperature. If the DC DC charger is under the engine bay at 40+C and the Aux battery is in the trunk at 25C then unless the DC DC charger has an external temperature compensation circuit it will not charge the Aux battery at the ideal voltage.

My suggestion would be to locate the DC to DC charger as close as possible to the Aux battery - because then it should correctly compensate for volt drop in its supply lines and closely compensate for battery temperature.

Most Aux battery circuits on 4x4 (and I am not talking about hulking big RVs) involve compromises and there is no perfect solution!
Andrew Ashton
2002 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB A/T
View my photos on flickr
qoda

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:16 am

Thank you for all this info. Very helpful. The Aux battery will be housed in the engine bay next to the primary battery. But i would like to have another auxiliary battery in the trailer at a later stage.

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”