Running a 12V Fridge

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Re: Running a 12V Fridge

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Where dit you fit the 130ah battery?

Da
Davidvan

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi,

My Campmaster didn't run off the rear cigarette plug. Got a hella installed and works like a charm. Got it installed at LA sport for +- R400, so very happy with that. If I had to do it again, I would run 1 set of wires for inverter under passenger seat and on to the hella boot area. The fridge must just run properly all the time, it gets hot from the sun so effeciency is important and good power in my opinion relates to optimum fridge performance
qo
qoda

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 am

Turns out the wiring isn't able to supply enough power, as suspected. I'll chat to the guys at LASport Boksburg and see if they can assist while I'm getting the highlift jack points fitted.

For interest sake Snowmaster supplied the brad Harrison plug and extension to me. So now just need to get around to fitting it.
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm

outbackjack wrote:.....so I opted to run my cables through a solenoid and fuse to the back of my car and hooked up a 130ah deepcycle battery.....
How did you run the cables to the back?
I have a 80 A/hr battery in the front, but that battery is a bit weak. I'd like to bring this and another battery to the back of the car, hence wanting to know how you ran the cables.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:13 pm

I had my wire installed by frontrunner - runs through the firewall on the driver side, under the right hand side of tge car, and enters through the back of the rear storage compartment, coming through where the jack is. I used 8m I think, and I still have about 1.5m of cable coiled up in the floor storage compartment.

With the rear seats out, I can run the cable through the gap where the seats lock into the floor, so no cutting needed to supply power to the fridge which can be located anywhere in tye back.
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk wrote:I had my wire installed by frontrunner - runs through the firewall on the driver side, under the right hand side .......
Interesting. Safari did mine (I have 2 outputs in the back left had side) and they ran the cables on the left hand side of the car.

Just had a thought :idea:
Would these two cables be large enough to charge a battery in the back??? I would need to measure the thickness.... Hmmmmm, comments?
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 pm

KaiV wrote:
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk wrote:I had my wire installed by frontrunner - runs through the firewall on the driver side, under the right hand side .......
Interesting. Safari did mine (I have 2 outputs in the back left had side) and they ran the cables on the left hand side of the car.

Just had a thought :idea:
Would these two cables be large enough to charge a battery in the back??? I would need to measure the thickness.... Hmmmmm, comments?
So the alternator puts out 14.2V, if measured at the back its at about 14.1V (with no load), I suspect it drops if you add load.

I have a battery in the storage area in the rear, but I use a DC2DC charger to pick up the voltage. You need at least 14.6V on a lead crystal or AGM deep cycle battery to fully charge it.
Karl

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register