Roofrack packing tips

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Roofrack packing tips

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

On my trip to Bots now in March, I will be loading a lot more goodies on the roofrack that before. I'm not a fan of weight on the roof, but we're taking on extra passengers which has necessitated some extra luggage and reduced packing space.

So I'm looking for some tips / thoughts / ideas on packing the roofrack.

After doing the calcs, I should still be below 100kgs...

Will be taking 2 tents, 3 ammo boxes, camping chairs, some loose bobs like inflatable matrasse and rubber matrasses. Need to leave some space for wood in Botswana.

My thoughts :
I'll tie the heavy tent (30kg canvas dome). On the front left. Want more weight on left, as fuel tank and myself on right, compared to just my wife on the left. I am worried about chafing of the tent (by the staps strapping it down)

Also, I have 2 3xammo box crate bags. I'll use one for crates, the other for the loose bobs. Would it be best to put them length wise next to the tent at the front? Then wood can go on the back.

What do you do with camp chairs? Keep them in their own bags and just strap on top?

How tight does one have to strap the tents? I'm thinking it probably won't move much due to friction in any case. I'm really worried about damaging the tent...

It's going to be a mission unpacking the roofrack each time we set up camp...

Any other use tips?

ss
ssg

Re: Roofrack packing tips

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm interested in this topic as well, as this may be my next move.

I've camped a lot, mostly with bakkies though and the one thing that stands out is to not have to search for stuff, ie be organised for when you stop for coffee by the side of the road, or when you reach camp etc. Pack in reverse. I'd put the tent in the back of the car (less weight to haul down) and the chairs at the back of the roofrack. Put stuff on your roofrack that you will only need once or twice, not routine stuff that must be taken off every single time?

But then again, my experience with rr's are limited.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Access on the sides is just as good as compared to the back. For me, I want the heaviest part at the front of the rack, to limit the sag at the rear. The back of the car will have all the coffee making stuff, but also the heavy items like the food crates, fridge, water bottles, etc.
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Tuinvurk,

Miskien moet ons gesels. Met my ondervinding gekombineer met jou behoeftes kan jy miskien 'n goeie oplossing kry.

Cloyd.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Summary of some feedback received from others:
Heavy items are fitted directly over the rear wheels, with the fuel on the side of the fuel cap. Then just siphon straight off the roof. No moving cans around.
4 ammo boxes fitted as far forward as possible, with tent behind them between and just in front of the Jerry cans. Gas cylinder at the back. The chairs are tucked in between the ammo boxes and tent, within bags.
Everything is tied down with ratchet straps. They work pretty well and have never had any issues.
Regarding chafing and the way things are strapped in:
The bag the tent and ground sheets are packed in is canvas, and it has loops for the straps. Strap it pretty tight so as little movement as possible. The groundsheets are on top so there's no worry about chafing. Only use one strap which has loops under the roof rack crosswise and over the tent lengthwise, if you can picture that. Use one strap per two ammoboxes lengthways, same as the tent.
Karl

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register