Off road trailer and off road caravan mods

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Da
Davidvan

Off road trailer and off road caravan mods

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi,

It is always lekker to see what others have done to their rigs. I have a few mods that I will post here as soon as I find my pics, but thought this an awesome idea as posted on the 4x4community site to prevent the stone rash to your trailer, simple and easy to do. I have opted for the coolloaroo material as you find at Builders warehouse that they use for the funky shade awnings as it is nice and thick, just need to get cracking and do the rest.

Post some of your mods done or seen elsewhere to trailers and caravans

Cheers

David
Attachments
Stone Guard 7.jpg
Stone Guard 6.jpg
Stone Guard 5.jpg
Stone Guard 4.jpg
Stone Guard 3.jpg
Stone Guard 2.jpg
Stone Guard 1.jpg

IA
IANS

Re: Off road trailer and off road caravan mods

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi Guys
I seem to be out of my league on the forum, please bear with me.
I am contemplating building myself an off road caravan. I came across the discussion hosted by Thinus when he was building his off raod caravan. It would be great if Thinus or any of the members that followed the discussion could PM me. Unfortunately I am still too new on the forum and am restricted to use the PM facility. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Ian
Lock
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 2002

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi David
What is the purpose of the "shadecloth" scoop? Not a caravaner myself, but do have a Venter trailer..... :P
If you can feel the grass between your toe's, your flying too low!
3.5 GLS F/LIF 1998 Lost to the x wife
3200 Tdi GSL 2001 Written off
3200 Di-D 5Dr A/T 2002 338 000 Sold
3500i A/T 5Dr 2001 Sold
3.2 Di-Dc GLS A/T 2008
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Davidvan wrote:Hi,

It is always lekker to see what others have done to their rigs. I have a few mods that I will post here as soon as I find my pics, but thought this an awesome idea as posted on the 4x4community site to prevent the stone rash to your trailer, simple and easy to do. I have opted for the coolloaroo material as you find at Builders warehouse that they use for the funky shade awnings as it is nice and thick, just need to get cracking and do the rest.

Post some of your mods done or seen elsewhere to trailers and caravans

Cheers

David
David

Are you going to have those swing arms "spring loaded" by some means to enable them to give way when you make a turn?

My Xplorer came with these nifty Stone Protectors fitted at an angle to allow the rig to turn wihout problems.

Johan
Brunch Stop - Boso Trail.JPG
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
Da
Davidvan

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi,

Purpose is to prevent stone rash from off road and dirt road travelling to prevent rocks being thrown up onto the trailer, bouncing onto the rear door and breaking rear window. There is a yellow bungy cord which is seen in the 2nd and 3rd pic as they are displayed, which go around the towbar so when you turn it will give way.

Lowrange, your idea is also cool, thanks for sharing.

I may do a combination, have already added longer mudflaps.

Cheers

David

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register