Botswana in August

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
g.
g.orbrink

Botswana in August

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi

We have a trip planned for Botswana in August but would be great to get some feedback if this is a feasible itinerary.

Maun 1 night
Xakanana 1 Night
Khwai 2 nights
Linyanti 1 night
Ihaha 1 night

Is it possible to go from Khwai to Linyanti in one day or is it to push it to much? Savuti was full so this was the only thing we manage to get.

We were planning on taking our off road trailer. But I have talked to some people that says that it is a bad idea in Chobe. Does anyone have an opinion to share?

Looking forward to getting some advise from you Botswana gurus out there ;)

an
andrew.ashton

Re: Botswana in August

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 am

Hi g.orbrink,

Where will you be starting from and returning to, and where will you be stopping over in your transit there and back?

I think you are trying to travel too much in too short a time period and it will be more like hard work than an enjoyable journey.

Personally I don't travel with a trailer - but I understand that the road from Savuti to Linyanti is very deep sand. That would certainly make the Khwai - Linyanti sector a major challenge (can be a challenge even without a trailer - a few years back we got stuck maybe 10km North of North gate and spent 6 hours or more getting ourselves out of a bog).
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Agree, kwhai to savuti is a long days drive. Would not want to go further. I assume you will be taking sand ridge Road (as opposed to Marsh Road...?)

Sand ridge is very doable with a trailer, but due to the up and down sections the speeds are limited.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Karl

g.
g.orbrink

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi

Many thanks for your replies.

The trip actually starts and ends in Cape Town. We will be doing the Transfrontier park camping, then via Kang and Ghanzi and then leaving the car for a while and doing Okavango delta at a "fly-in" lodge.

We will then be travelling from Maun, to Xakanana, then Khwai, then Linyanti and ending the Chobe trip in Ihaha. We will then continue to Vic Falls and onwards into Zimbabwe.

Just not sure if we should do the Linyanti part and if the trailer should come with or not. We don't want to push it to much as you mentioned. But are unsure what set up we should do if we skip the Linyanti camp site as Savuti was full and we need to get to Ihaha.

Would you recommend to go straight for Ihaha from Kwai and maybe stay a night in Kasane or would that also be too long of a drive?

Appreciate all your inputs.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 pm

All those are long drives, very long ones... Especially Kasane.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Karl

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register