POCSA Radio Licenses - POLL

Radios, GPS etc

Would you be interested in obtaining a VHF frequency through the Pajero Club?

Yes, very much so
44%
I already have a VHF licence through another club (via ORRA)
11%
I already have a VHF licence through another club (non ORRA)
3%
I only intend to use 29MHz
11%
I don't have a radio, but I intend to get one and will use the POCSA frequency
25%
I only ever communicate by shouting
6%

Total votes: 36
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

POCSA Radio Licenses - POLL

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I am investigating the possibility of a Pajero Club VHF radio frequency.

However, the requirement that we will have to apply for 50 licenses minimum at somewhere around R100 per annum per licence to recover expenses. Now, we do not have a paid for model for club membership so managing this will be onerous. However to gauge interest please fill in the poll and add comments if necessary.

If I can't get 50 member to commit to annual radio license fees then the idea will be moot.

Simon Bloomer
Family_Dog
Affiliate Member

Re: POCSA Radio Licenses - POLL

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 pm

It's worth mentioning that the proposed VHF frequency will be a "Roving Frequency", thus you will be able to use it anywhere within the borders of SA.

If any of you are using a legal VHF frequency other than ORRA, please do not publish the frequency here but mention it in a PM to either Simon or myself. The idea is to keep the frequencies as compatible with others as possible, thus simplifying antennas at least.

-F_D

Dean Stephens
Vehicle: Pajero GLX

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:45 pm

After reading through F_D's posts on the 4x4 Community forum I realize that my present VHF radio cannot also be licenced to include the two ORRA frequencies (I am presently on 156.XXX Megs) so I would be interested in a radio and licence via F_D and the POCSA. Please keep us informed as to interest shown in this licence offer via POCSA cause if there is insufficient interest I will have to apply via an alternate culb.

Kind regards.
Family_Dog
Affiliate Member

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Time to revive this Poll again. Should POCSA become a member of AAWDCSA, then its members will be eligible to apply to ORRA for VHF or 29MHz frequencies. This licence is the same as offered to other affiliated Clubs and you will not be restricted to being only able to speak to POCSA members. We can, however, use an additional tone if this is desired, but I'm not so sure this is beneficial.

The ORRA licences are valid for anywhere within the Country's borders and you are able to apply for temporary permits upon application to the relevant country's regulator, providing proof of your valid ORRA permit. Currently, you will receive two VHF frequencies (the "newly released" VHF frequency will become applicable early next year) and three 29MHz AM frequencies, depending on your choice.

The benefits of radio communication are numerous and the use of a radio should be seen as a tool for one's personal safety when on a trip. Radios should be used wisely and not for swapping cake recipes (unless you are in a two-car convoy far in the middle of nowhere).

Obtaining an ORRA licence is by far the cheapest and quickest means of obtaining a valid means of radio communication . A direct private initiative for obtaining your own (single) frequency is more expensive, takes longer and is the frequency that is issued is not valid for use anywhere else other than 50kms maximum from your place of residence.

-F_D

Sk
Skillie

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:01 am

Hi,

I would still prefer a POCSA only frequency. If we however cannot get 50 people to do this we can go the other road which still has plenty of advantages.

Regards
SimonB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 am

As of 1st January next year, all going well, we'll be members of AAWDC with the advantages of also being members of ORRA

Sent from my half-eaten fruity mobile device!
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:21 pm

So whats the process for a radio...?

1. Buy radio
2. Get licence?

And what if I want to radio with other drivers who dont have licences? Should I just get 2-ways for this scenario?
Karl

Family_Dog
Affiliate Member

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 pm

You wait until January, then you apply to ORRA through POCSA for a VHF (or 29MHz) licence. The process takes 2-3 weeks. You will be granted two VHF or three 29MHz frequencies. When the time arrives, we can discuss the purchase of a suitable radio, but there is some information elsewhere on this forum pertaining to that.

There is also more info here, but the info is outdated. I will forward the new info to Simon tomorrow.

-F_D

SimonB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Family_Dog wrote: There is also more info here, but the info is outdated. I will forward the new info to Simon tomorrow.
-F_D
I have the latest info Eric... I just need to publish it :oops:
Simon Bloomer
Family_Dog
Affiliate Member

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:57 pm

SimonB wrote:
Family_Dog wrote: There is also more info here, but the info is outdated. I will forward the new info to Simon tomorrow.
-F_D
I have the latest info Eric... I just need to publish it :oops:
Heh... I knew that, I was being polite! :)

-F_D

Return to “Communication and Navigation Equipment”

Login · Register