Our June 2010 Botswana Trip (LowRange) Part 1

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Re: Our June 2010 Botswana Trip (LowRange) Part 1

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 pm

CATS wrote:Lowrange

A stupid question about your trip. If I wanted to do the exact same trip as yours in December, would it be possible? I assume it will be very hot, but my question relates more to road conditions and weather in the form of water.

If I understand it correctly Botswanna rainy season is November-January which could lead to muddy tracks but the Delta actually flood in the winter months of June-August making it impossible to visit certain parts close to there. Do I have it right or am I totally off track?

CATS
CATS, I've only visited in September and June. Can't realy comment on the conditions in December, but I think you have it right.

Your biggest challenge is going to be to get decent bookings for December right now. We booked a year in advance and could not get to all the places we intended.

Johan

Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
Kennekam
Vehicle: 2005 Paejero GSL LWB DiD

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Great report

Your Gen 3 seems a bit higher off the ground than mine. I see you have Ironman fitted. How much is the lift?

Also you seem to still have the original rails with your roof rack. I assume you have the FR clamp on system. Any problems with it?

Would you recommend the FR add on fuel tank system or would jerry cans suffice?
2005 Pajero GLS LWB DiD
Geolander AT/S, FrontRunner roofrack, OME, dual-battery
Nikon D4, 500VR
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Kennekam wrote:Great report

Your Gen 3 seems a bit higher off the ground than mine. I see you have Ironman fitted. How much is the lift?

Also you seem to still have the original rails with your roof rack. I assume you have the FR clamp on system. Any problems with it?

Would you recommend the FR add on fuel tank system or would jerry cans suffice?

Kennekam

I got around 40 to 45mm lift originally. Must have sagged a bit after 80k km's, but I am still very happy.

My roofrack with the clamp-on-feet has seem some pretty rough roads and is almost always loaded with wood, recovery gear, water, extra battery etc. I try and keep the weight under 100Kg's, which is quite a lot of stuff. I had a nasty incident where a rack ripped out of my Colts roof where new holes had been drilled by a fitment center. The clamp-on system is good enough for me.

I personally prefer the long range tank to jerry cans. I use mine all the time and its great to have the extra range no matter where you go.

Johan
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register