Ferndale - 24 & 25 september 2010

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Re: Ferndale - 24 & 25 september 2010

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 pm

tonton wrote:Lovely!

Thanks for the pix. Difflock alley looks like a thriller. I wonder what would be better: up or down?

Anton
I wouldn't attempt it upwards unless I have an extra 2 inches clearance and at least a rear locker - preferably front as well.

The loose rocks will make it very difficult indeed.

SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Nice Pics Marius...no commentary from Dad?

I speak from experience that pictures don't do a trail justice so looked like an interesting route!

I hear your comments regarding front and rear lockers on the uphill but I have discovered NOT having a difflock has made me a better driver and I have managed to tackle obstacles where other people immediately hit the button.
Simon Bloomer
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm sure Dad will post some feedback when he has the time. His plate is filled with other responsibilities at the moment.
Za
Zantus

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Great stuff! Besides Brakkeduine dunes, Ferndale is my favourite trail in the Eastern Cape....just a shame it is so far from PE.

Well done on coming down Diff-lock Alley.....the pictures definately don't do it justice! Last year I went up and down in the Triton. Going up was actually easier for me and I got up with a bit of wheel spin, but not a big issue. At the time the Triton was on 265/75R16 GY MTR's, standard suspension and rear diff-lock, but I did have a proper bash plate and rock sliders which gave me a bit more confidence. Going down was a slow process with a lot of guidance.
Za
Zantus

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 am

BTW, a friend of mine went up there in 2003 with a Gen2 3.5Paj with rear LSD, a Trooper with rear LSD made it and also a TD5 Defender with open diffs. Given, it's worse now than it was 7 years ago, but even then some of the locals were there and said it is impossible without lockers.
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 am

Dad's comments:

The two Gen2s impressed, even with open diffs and AT tyres.
The youngsters did a bit of single tine plowing with their tow bars though! :D

The Touareg impressed as well, even with the "super-slip-no-grip" V-rated road tyres (255/55/18 Pirelli Scorpion STR).
The air suspension ensured that the clearance was enough not to touch anything, anywhere, any time.
With the intended 265/65/18 BFG ATs, it will be a monster.

Have to mention TC though.
I was leading and deliberately took the wrong line at an axle twister to test the TC.
The Touareg will crawl up to an obstacle and then stop at it, when a wheel looses traction. a gentle prod on the loud pedal will cause the TC to kick in and from there it just does it's thing. It works best at crawling speeds.
JP behind me in the 2.8 TD Gen2 took the same line and got stuck with no traction. :oops:
Marius in the 3.0 V6 got out to laugh at all this and was then very 'wintie' when he chose the correct line and got through it.
We sent him back to try the 'wrong' line and he could not make it at crawling speed, but did make it with a bit of momentum. ;)

(going down) Difflock Ally:
Everything we read said don't attempt without diff locks, but I suppose that was for going uphill!
We took a wrong turning and ended up at the top of Difflock Ally by mistake, but decided to go down in any case.
Photograhs don't show steep slopes weel, but even walking up / down there was a mission with all the loose rocks.
The problem going down is definitely not traction, but clearance - both under-body and sides of vehicles.
With the packing of rocks and carefull driving (under guidance) we made it unscathed, except for JP's one 'bling' side step.
The Tregg did not touch at all, with the air suspension giving ample clearance.
(The younsters got some training regarding guidance / spotting ;) ).

Going up Difflock Ally at the moment will be difficult with anything because of the drought.
The rock ledges are OK, but in between these th loose rocks are in a matrix with very dry powdery material. The loose rocks therefore move very easily and that might cause some problems. The wheel will grip the loose rocks, but these will move away from underneath the wheels.
Rock sliders are highly recommended, to limit body (side) damage.

The facilities were excellent (chalet, braai area etc).
We would like to go back to enjoy the scenery once they have had some rain.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:31 am

some more pics

to
tonton

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Must have been fun, and then there was the view!

Great shots. Now I am really jealous!

Anton
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
to
tonton

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:44 pm

4ePikanini

Very nice.... Did you build those GIF's yourself? If yes, what did you use?

Anton

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register