Botswana August Report with some nice pics

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
th
thekNack

Re: Botswana August Report with some nice pics

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:55 am

Davidvan, thanks for the tip, I can see how that will help, but it will only help as long as you are going forward, as soon as you stop the water will come in from the bottom (but still a really good trick!). That pic is crazy and I am not sure if I would have the guts to go that deep. I have been on previous trips where we rented a cruiser and drowned that, and alo had water on a lodge cruiser. Both times we had to fix ourselves. No fun, lots of extra cost. A snorkel is high on my list!

Tuinvurk, I have Wrangler AT, but tyres not really an issue in that area as the bottom is mainly hard sand. I doubt if you would get stuck in HLLC, this whole trip I only once came close to getting stuck and that was on a small side track up a dune in savuti (and I wasn't paying attention). the bigget problem is getting water into the engine.

Does anybody know what the official wading depth is on the Gen3? Where can water get in apart from the air filter?

PI
PIRI D-ID

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:13 am

KaiV wrote:Im there in four weeks :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :geek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nice Kai :mrgreen: in 4 weeks i will be dreaming of my shorty doing a river crossing somewhere in africa somewhere in the future :lol: ,you guys make me verry jealous :lol:
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 pm

thekNack,

Two months on and the photies are still great. Thanks for posting.

Now for the R20k question: Did you need the rear difflock? You said most driving was in HLLc (so I assume you meant 4LLc), which is rear diff lock territory.
Mi
Mick Monkey

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Absolutely awesome pictures. It looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the photos. They give me an idea of what to expect when I go there next month. I can't wait!
th
thekNack

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Roelf

Sorry for the late reply...end of the year was madness

I never needed the difflock, and have only ever used it on 4X4 trails. Maybe if you are towing heavy trailer you may need it, but I don't think so on a trip like this

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register