Sodwana Bay to Kosi Mouth.

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
vi
vito115

Sodwana Bay to Kosi Mouth.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:57 am

Hi Folks,
I know this is not a report, but I was not sure where to post this.
Please could someone assist with some information on a trip.
I am planning a trip to Hluhluwe game reserve at the end of February for a few days.
We will then move on to Kosi Bay for a few days. We absolutely love the mouth and will probably stay at Utshwayelo Lodge.
The info I am looking for is, I see there is a Road/Track up the coast from Sodwana Bay to Bhanga Nek. I would like to know.
1. Is it possible to use this route (maybe with a permit)
2. What are the road conditions like.
3. How far is the trip. From T4A maps it looks like about 80k’s.
4. Can this be done in one day.
5. Who do I need to contact for permits if required.
I know I could just travel up the tar road, but that defeats the object of owning a 4x4. Although we do not plan to stop over and swim etc, the scenery has got to be better than traveling up the highway.
We have tried to get info from various accommodation sources in the area as well as KZN wildlife, with out success.
Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Trevor
2005 Pajero 3.2 LWB.

an
andrew.ashton

Re: Sodwana Bay to Kosi Mouth.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 pm

vito115 wrote: 1. Is it possible to use this route (maybe with a permit)
2. What are the road conditions like.
3. How far is the trip. From T4A maps it looks like about 80k’s.
4. Can this be done in one day.
5. Who do I need to contact for permits if required.
Trevor
2005 Pajero 3.2 LWB.
Hi Trevor,

I did the first part of this route (Sodwana to tar road just North of Rocktail Beach Camp) a few years back in my 2002 3.2 LWB Auto.

A couple of km short of the craft market at Sodwana there is a track that runs North to a gate (27 25.15S, 32 41.53E), which is the entrance to that section of the coastal reserve. At that time we just had to pay at the gate.

Once through the gate the sand road runs North between the dunes and Lake Sibaya. It is very picturesque.
Along the way there are a couple of tracks that lead over the dunes to the ocean's edge. Those tracks are quite sandy as you would imagine. And sometimes the vegetation may leave a few memories down the side of the car (not so on the main track running North).

Unless there has been hectic rain I would not imagine any problem for you in terms of vehicle capability vs road conditions.

Looking at the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Maps book it shows the track all the way from Sodwana to Bhanga Nek and that is about 60 km excluding any side tracks you take. You are never more than about 4km from the beach.

You would certainly be able to do it in one day.

In some places there are a multitude of tracks - so I guess T4A would be helpful - we had to guess our way at some junctions, but we were out for a drive so didn't mind getting lost.

Maybe you could call Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife / Isimangaliso Wetlands Park number: +27 35 590 1633 or email info@isimangaliso.com

You can find a map with GPS coords on p20&p21 of the book GeOGraphic Maps, KwaZulu-Natal Travel Maps ISBN 0-9814297-2-6 geomaps@iafrica.com

Enjoy!
vi
vito115

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reply.
This is just the kind of Info I needed.
I am actually quite pleased as this seems like a pleasant trip.
Regards
Trevor
deltazane
Vehicle: 06' 3.8l V6 SWB GLS

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:59 am

Let us know how it went. Hoping for the same kind of trip soon after you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vi
vito115

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:16 pm

No problem.
I will post a report when we get back.
This only planned for the last week of Feb.
Trevor

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register