One heart to Lesotho

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
allandell
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD LWB AT

One heart to Lesotho

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Hey guys so I was asked to give a trip report from my last trip to Lesotho.
So, we started the trip off with major concerns that Sani Pass was going to be extremely difficult. We were also told that we would never make it up the pass towing a trailer. Well to all those people, they just never knew a Pajero was that good!!! Lol
Ok so we were warned that the pass was extremely bad but no problem even with towing a trailer behind the pajero. Border cobtrol, tour guide operators and members of 4x4 community advised it not possible. We had no option. We were 5 vehicles up and had 2500kg of mielie meal plus 105 5lt bucket food parcels and all our food and clothes etc etc. So the trailer was really needed.
The pass was a bit rough but then again we are used to much worse roads where we go in lesotho I guess. We drove up the pass in rainy / misty weather. TC did not do much work at all going up the pass. There were 2 spots where it did some work and I think it was only because I had a wheel off the ground on the corners as I took a different angle for the trailer.
The road to mokhotlong is beautiful. It is tarred for about 10km and ready for bitchumen on another 10km and the rest is great. Easy to average 50km/h over the whole stretch.
So we went and did some ministry in some villages and I got to compare the pajero to my old colt. I found the pajero likes to let a wheel go airborne compared to the colt but TC sorts that all out no problem. I think it also has to do with the colt having had a live axle and on torsions in front conpared to pajero which is all spring and independent. The people in my car kept saying how happy they were that they were in the pajero.
We did a deep river crossing and had to counter steer for current was pushing the car. I am really impressed by how well sealed this car is. No dust or water got into the car over the whole trip in Lesotho. The water was quite high up the side of the car as you will see in the pictures. I have found that I must always use the manual version of the auto when in low range as it does not like to let the engine rev and get the viscous working. So I got a slight increase in temps while climbing the pass but sorted ASAP by changing down to 2nd from 4th and getting the revs up to 3000. I also learnt that the car has got only water as its coolant. I feel very disappointed in Mitsu Menlyn for that as they did the last service and should have sorted that to proper coolant.
Performance while towing and 4x4ing was really impressive. All the people on the trip kept on saying wow, they never knew a pajero could do this. What made it even better for the pajero was that there were 4 defenders and the pajero but the pajero towed the trailer and still had no issues, as you will see in the pics.

I would love for anyone to contact me if you want to join on a trip and yes we like people to use their car if they want to. We never put or go on a route that the drivers cannot manage and will also be sure to not get damage to vehicles while on a trip.
uploadfromtaptalk1424199429965.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199408346.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199387305.jpg

allandell

Re: One heart to Lesotho

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1424199600865.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199543616.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199492748.jpg
allandell

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1424199802571.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199752243.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199708800.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424199658130.jpg
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Nice read, nice pics and wonderfull work.
Great post, thank you!

Sent from my GT-I9305
an
andrew.ashton

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Amen.

@allandell, how often do you do this trip?
Is there a minister on board / how do you handle the Christian / evangelical side of this?

Best regards
allandell

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:06 pm

We are an independent organisation but we partner with 2 pastors in lesotho. We are connected in some ways to several churches as we all who are part of one heart go to different churches or some churches use us as a vehicle to do mission work. We have churches from CT, Witbank and local around KZN using us and even YWAM.
Dave the main guy from one heart was a minister for a while for a church in Durban and worked his full tome job at the same time. He no longer is a minister as wanted to have more time for family etc.
We go just about every month and go for 4 days. When we not going to lesotho in winter we then go to swaziland but 4x4 is not needed there.
We have several means of doing evangelical work and most common are: Jesus film, dramas, heart chart or testimony. The pastors there will do follow up visits after we have engaged a village and will also advise us of which villages they would like our assistance in. We have managed to build a church there aand helped a bit with the main church but are getting very promising news about another 2 sites to build churches.
Any trip is open to anyone and people can bring their own 4x4 if they would like to. Have a look at our website for any further info and dates of trips. Www.oneheartinternational.co.za
an
andrew.ashton

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 pm

allandell wrote:We are an independent organisation but we partner with 2 pastors in lesotho...

Any trip is open to anyone and people can bring their own 4x4 if they would like to. Have a look at our website for any further info and dates of trips. http://Www.oneheartinternational.co.za
Thanks @allandell, I will take a look.

Is there another website? http://www.oneheartinternational.co.za/ returns server not found.
allandell

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:49 pm

allandell

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Try this link. If this link does not work. Google one heart international and you should be able to find it then rather easily

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register