Namibia & Botswana Trip

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
Sc
ScottyJ

Namibia & Botswana Trip

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:33 am

Hi Guys

Hope everyone had a great Xmas and New Year.

I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone. First below is the trip I have booked for June & July this year, been planing the trip for about a year. Let me know what you think. I have also detailed below the additions I am making to my 2006 3.2 Did GLS LWD Paj. Let me know if you agree with the additions? I'll post some pics when everything is fitted (Should be done in the next couple weeks)

Trip:
Rooiputs camp site (Kgalagadi) - 3 nights
Swakopmund - 2 nights
Olifantrus Camp site (Etosha) - 3 nights
Caprivi Strip - 1 night
Linyanti Camp site (Moremi) - 3 nights
Okavango River Lodge - 4 nights
Nata Lodge Camp site (Makgadikgadi) - 3 nights
Piper Pan Camp site (Central Kalahari) - 4 nights
Home

Additions to the car:
Frontrunner Roof rack
Frontrunner Rooftop tent
45L water tank for roof rack
2 x 20L jerry can for roof rack.
Seed Net for Grill
Debating putting suspension spacers on to give the car a bit more clearance, dont have the additional cash for Old Man Emu. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Roelf_le_Roux

Re: Namibia & Botswana Trip

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:36 am

Hi Scotty.
Nothing beats the planning and preparation of an overland trip.. enjoy.

One question: are you removing the existing rails and replacing it with "runners" to accommodate the roofrack, or are you fitting a clamp-on rack?

Comments:
1) consider moving the water tank lower (off the roof) to lower the centre of gravity. I have seen guys stick a triangular shaped water tank behind the back (middle) seats - in that "lost" space on the boot floor.

2) spacers and higher ground clearance is always welcome - as long as the lift isn't too aggressive. A cheaper, less "invasive" option is to rather install airbags in the rear coils. You can most probably recover some of the lost ground clearance due to the load.
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 am

Hey Roelf

I hear you, my wife and I are doing the trip with another couple in a hilux and between the 4 of us we have not stopped talking and planing this trip for 6 months already. The big chirps have been around who will get stuck first, hilux vs pajero :)

I will be removing the existing rails and replacing it with runners (Would you suggest this is the best route). The installation will be done by Rugged Africa in Hillcrest.

I hear you about the water tank, I was thinking about getting the below water tank rather.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en ... -tank.html

I don't know much about the airbags option for the suspension, how much does this lift the suspension or does it simply reduce the amount the car will be lowered by under load? What are the costs, effect on ride etc. I've heard mixed reviews about spacers negatively affecting the ride.
Ni
Nicb

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:23 am

Scotty
I'm with Roelf regarding the air helpers. Fitted mine a couple of years back and never regretted. It will be the first mod on the next vehicle once I get round to upgrading. Makes a huge difference when towing the offroad caravan, it just feels so much stabler (not to mention the appearance of the vehicle). The amount of lift depends on load and the air pressure. You can't go wrong. Had mine done by 4X4 Megaworld Menlyn Retail. Shop around, the price must have gone up since.
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks Nic

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and what lift did you go for?

Cheers
Ni
Nicb

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Scotty
I'm sorry, at my age I have difficulty remembering what happend a month or two ago, not to mention years! At the time 4X4 Megaworld was among the cheapest and the most convenient. Rather phone them and get the current price.
I just did. They don't do it any more: "Too many problems". Bad news. When I prompted him he said they had problems with air helpers on the leaf springs of bakkies ("the suspension stops working"). The owners must have over done it, riding on air helpers only!
LA Sport in Voortrekker road will install a set from Firestone for R5000. (The price have gone up considerably, but I still think it's worth it)
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks Nic, appreciate the help.

Would you rather go for the Air helpers over Spacers? Seems like they will be similarly priced at the end of the day.

Cheers
Ni
Nicb

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Scotty
I have no experience with spacers but it sounds like it will give you a specific (fixed) amount of lift. The beauty of air helpers (LA Sport uses some other name) is the control you have. The heavier the load or higher the lift required, the more pressure you pump. With the caravan, after loading the car, I pump to 2 bar, hook up the caravan and reduce pressure till the required hight.
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Thanks Nic.

From the posts I have been reading, most people that purchase the Air helpers are towing a caravan etc. So they can ensure the extra weight at the back is not affecting the ride height/stability by pumping more air into the Airbags.

I will not be towing anything but I will have a full roof rack and boot and want to ensure I still have enough clearance in the front and back so the 4x4 ability of the car is not badly affected. Is the Airbag still suitable for this purpose?

Sorry for all the questions.
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:22 pm

I might be getting confused. When I mention spacers I am talking about the Spacers that increase the ride height not the spacer that go between the wheel and the hub?

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register