Namibia & Botswana Trip

Tell us where your Pajero has taken you.
Ni
Nicb

Re: Namibia & Botswana Trip

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Scotty
Understood. It seems I managed to lose my last reply without submitting. I find I benefit from the air helpers also when not towing. In the Kaokoveld with the car and roofrack packed to the limit (no caravan), I went through a bad rut in the road at speed. Imagine the force, a chip in the windshield immediately became a crack from left to right and the engine mountings had to be replaced afterwards. For the air helped rear suspension it was just another dip in the road!
I'm not sure what max pressure these things can handle. I inflate them to 2 bar after loading the car, hook up the caravan and deflate to the required hight (at about 1.5 bar).

Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks Nic, looks like I have allot to think about.

But it sounds like the Airbag is the way to go.

I will post some pics of the final product when everything is installed.
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I had spacers in my Gen4 and they didn't do well for the ride comfort, height gained was 50mm which is great for the trip you have planned but I found the ride was compromised. Others say the effects weren't too bad. The airbags are a great option but you won't be able to get them for the front (I stand corrected).

If you can maybe look at saving some money on the Frontrunner gear and get, for example, a Tentco tent you may save enough to get some Tough Dog or EFS suspension. I got my EFS from Rugged 4x4 in Meyerton, about a year ago for R9500. It will be more now, but try see if you can get it done within your budget. The spacers are about R3k so for the difference it might make more sense to get upgraded suspension. I got the EFS "heavy Duty" coils plus shocks and I am very happy with the 40mm lift and ride comfort is great.

I am jealous by the way, I also wish I was planning a trip :(
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks Kurt, appreciate the feedback.

I'm going to go into the fitment center for a visit next week to finalise everything being fitted. I'll chat to him about better pricing on items etc.

First prize would be new suspension.
Roelf_le_Roux

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Scotty,
We are just throwing option at you. I did the airbags for a heavily loaded trip to Damaraland. Two couples will full load and offroad caravan. They offer some ground clearance and stability assistance under load and basically disappear when not needed. I preferred them because installation is simple and non-invasive. Nothing gets stripped. I am however convinced they do not offer all the advantages of a proper suspension job, with lift and all. Totally your call in the end.

Your option of removing the rails and fitting runners is the best. Once again - more invasive. I don't do rooftop tent, so need the roofrack for space, not heavy loads and preferred the clamp-on. That rack served on three of my Pajeros, no hassle. Now it is redundant and it makes me want to cry just thinking about it.
Sc
ScottyJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks Roelf.

Got lots of great advice today, really appreciate it.

I'll let you all know how the chat with Rugged Africa goes and what I finally end up with.

Cheers.
Roelf_le_Roux

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Please do...
And don't forget to enjoy this phase of the expedition to the fullest.
Roelf_le_Roux

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Scotty,

You will have to come and show us your kitted Pajero at this year's Mountain Adventure in Barberton.
Da
Davidvan

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi Scotty,

I agree on the airbags in the rear. I have got spacers up front the smaller size available from Stofpad and have airbags in the rear. The rear airbags gave aound 30mm lift and the front spacers around 40mm lift and is a great combination that will not break the bank.

You can fit 2 jerry cans in the 3rd row seats storage space which would be good for water storage as well, and will have some space for a recovery rope as well to pull out the Hilux when he gets stuck :-)

For travelling consider a packing shelf to make you overlanding easier and if you have a fridge a slide and a plug point in the rear would be a good addition.

I have some plans here somewhere on the packing shelf I think under members mods if I recall correctly.

Have a great trip and enjoy pulling the Hilux out,

Cheers

David
Sc
ScottyJ

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:01 am

Roelf_le_Roux wrote:Scotty,

You will have to come and show us your kitted Pajero at this year's Mountain Adventure in Barberton.
That sounds like a plan, what are the details of the event?

Return to “Trip Reports”

Login · Register