Brakes making an awful noise

Let us know who you are, what you drive and what makes you tick!
Oupa
Vehicle: 2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 GLS SWB

Brakes making an awful noise

Mon May 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Good day,

I have a 2008 Pajero 3.8 GLS SWB with 180 000 mileage,i have the car now for 3 months and when in parked and putting it in reverse and releasing the handbrake/brakes an awful sound comes with that,i have bought the vehicle from a dealer that fitted new disk pads,i am ashame to use the vehicle in this condition,any suggestions or solutions please!!!
swazi85
Vehicle: 2011 Pajero Gen 4 3.2

Re: Brakes making an awful noise

Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Difficult to say, maybe the calipers are sticking, so brakes still in engaged.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

swazi85
Vehicle: 2011 Pajero Gen 4 3.2

Mon May 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Difficult to say, maybe the calipers are sticking, so brakes still in engaged.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

SimphiweB
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID,GLS, 2007,LWB

Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi, are you certain that the awful noise is from the brakes not the diff towards the center or from one of the wheels? Its a very common thing, I have gone through that but it was not related to the brakes. Sometimes when you engage the gear to the opposite direction the transfer of power causes that noise especially if you are on 2w drive. Its almost impossible to avoid it. The thud sound tends to be better when you are on AWD.

Also inspect the condition of the two bushes that support your diff, you can see them from behind under the car. Ask someone (you trust) to engage gears while the car is stationary and go a bit under the car to see where the noise is from.

If your brakes were binding, you would probably hear some squeaking sound or burning smell. Check if one of your wheels is not excessively hot after driving for a while. It could also be your parking brakes/handbrake pads inside the disc, they are probably not well adjusted therefore knocking against the discs.

My last bet would be the order in which you park your car, especially if its on a slope. First apply the foot brake, move the gear lever to neutral and then apply handbrake and then move your gear lever to Park. This will ensure that your car does not rely on Park , it actually uses the handbrake and avoid getting your gear "hooked" on Park.

Otherwise be patient and enjoy that car. Mine is at 253000 and im still enjoying it!
Oupa

Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,appreciated.

The car is going in for a 180 000 service so that the cam belt can be replaced at quite a substantial amount :shock: and will ask the mechanic to have a look at it,otherwise a lovely vehicle to drive and also consider throwing out the catalytic converter.
RoelfleRoux
Vehicle: 2008 3.8V6 LWB Pajero

Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm

I suspect the handbrake shoes in those little drums inside the rear disks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Oupa

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 am

Good day,
I have replaced the handbrake shoes and scimming done but the noise is still unbearable,how can I get the noisy/sticking calipers not doing that grinding sound again,it is driving me insane!!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”