I'm not sure why I didn't think of Pajero before...

Let us know who you are, what you drive and what makes you tick!
Ji
Jiggz

I'm not sure why I didn't think of Pajero before...

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi from...usually Cape Town...often elsewhere around the world....currently off the Equatorial Guinea coast.

I have been looking for a halfway decent, electronics-free older diesel 4x4 SUV for a while and tended towards always looking towards Discovery Tdi's......with some trepidation. I want a daily driver that will reliably take us and our gear into the desert or the bush or up the coast occasionally. I don't need fast, I would prefer economical, reliable, comfortable, capable.

It has taken me some time to remember that early Pajeros were apparently quite fine vehicles.

I have seen a few ads (but not many) for late-90's diesel LWB units, but I am here to find out which are problematic, and which are not.

I briefly drove a 2,8 naturally aspirated Colt pick-up for a while - it sounded and felt like one cylinder was doing the work whilst the other three were simply clapping hands in appreciation - not impressive but I think it had been badly rebuilt at some stage. I got rid of it quickly.

I see a 2,5 naturally aspirated job advertised and wonder how reliable they are - as I say, I don't need fast.
I see a 2,8 turbo diesel advertised and wonder how reliable they are. How much electronic tomfoolery do they have?

Anyway...that's why I am here....thanks for reading this far.

Be well.

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Re: I'm not sure why I didn't think of Pajero before...

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

You will get a lot more and faster responses if you post this on the Facebook "Pajero Owners Club" page. Unfortunately I have only owned the Gen4 Pajero so I cannot give any input here.

PS - welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
overambitious
Vehicle: lada niva

Re: I'm not sure why I didn't think of Pajero before...

Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:39 am

I have a 2.8l gen 2 and love it.

They have a reputation of blowing head gaskets though, although i dont have any first hand experience of this myself.

In terms of electronics there isnt much, its a basic diesel engine.

If i were to do it again i would buy a petrol as my consumption isnt all that much better, and the extra power would be nice to have.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Return to “Introduce Yourself”

Login · Register