2nd Time Pajero Owner - This time unhappy

Let us know who you are, what you drive and what makes you tick!
Pi
PieterFranklin1

2nd Time Pajero Owner - This time unhappy

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi Guys,

Facing a bit of a dilema, used to own a trouble free 3.5V6 LWB Gls 2001 model gen 3 manual (370000km) Sold her and bought a 2003 3.2 DiD SWB (150000km).

Turns out the 3.2 had a engine replacement so now I am unsure of the km on it. Major issues include, cutting out and stalling and then smoking after even 30m of bumpy roads, squeaking accumulator and 4llc seems to engage even when not in neutral, I bought a dud...

So sad as I saved up to buy cash and forked out alot of $$$.

Any advice on the stalling and cutting out as this is by far the most worrisome issue.

Cheers,ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Tony M
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero GLS LWB

Re: 2nd Time Pajero Owner - This time unhappy

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Just a quick thought.
Perhaps they loosened some 'crud' when they replaced the engine and these particles are causing the stalling - especially as you remark it's when going over bumpy roads.
Perhaps firstly get 2 cans of diesel injector cleaner (±R250 ea at Mitsu), add to your fuel tank, then fill up? - if you haven't done so already of course.
Pi
PieterFranklin1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Tony M wrote:Just a quick thought.
Perhaps they loosened some 'crud' when they replaced the engine and these particles are causing the stalling - especially as you remark it's when going over bumpy roads.
Perhaps firstly get 2 cans of diesel injector cleaner (±R250 ea at Mitsu), add to your fuel tank, then fill up? - if you haven't done so already of course.
Hi Tony,

Thanks, sounds like good advice, I really want to get it right, would be a great thing if this works! You get that look from a mechanic when you state the behaviour, but only when...

Tony M

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Pieter,
I've done a lot of my own work on carburettor driven engines over the last 40 years (when there was less electronics involved) but now have my first (second hand) diesel so I've been reading up a bit on this technology.
The one thing that always sticks out is that any particles that get into the fuel or air system can be very problematic. Either because it can partially obstruct a moving part (like the turbo, fuel pump etc), injector or even one of the multiple sensors around the engine/gearbox. So perhaps this is your problem IRO idling. Hope that it's an easy fix like cleaning the fuel lines with the fuel line cleaner.
BTW, I have seen reports of poor idling put down to the suction control valve - hope it's not that because the SCV is around R4,700 plus fitment (requires some 're-programming/re-calibration' of the electronics so you cant do it yourself). Problems with the SCV can also cause the vehicle to go into 'limp mode'.
Cheers
Pi
PieterFranklin1

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Tony and other enthuasists! Managed to get it sorted, just below the battery bay, a main fusebox is located which has a plug connecting several wires, on the one side a clip was broken causing the plug to just barely make contact. Once I secured the plug and the loose battery (rookie mistake should have checked first!) all was honky dorey! Ps I added the injector cleaner as recommended yesterday I am sure this will help as well, can't hurt to have cleaner injectors. The vehicle is on 150079km now, hope to get 400000km on it, my 3.5v6 went well over 350000km. I am hoping the 3.2 will be lighter on my pocket than the 3.5, missing the brutal acceleration though! Cheers!

Tony M

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Pieter,

Happy you got it sorted out. Did it solve all your problems or just the cutting out?
Hope it did and happy motoring! :)
jahbolo
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB NS

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:19 am

PieterFranklin1 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 am
Hi Tony and other enthuasists! Managed to get it sorted, just below the battery bay, a main fusebox is located which has a plug connecting several wires, on the one side a clip was broken causing the plug to just barely make contact. Once I secured the plug and the loose battery (rookie mistake should have checked first!) all was honky dorey! Ps I added the injector cleaner as recommended yesterday I am sure this will help as well, can't hurt to have cleaner injectors. The vehicle is on 150079km now, hope to get 400000km on it, my 3.5v6 went well over 350000km. I am hoping the 3.2 will be lighter on my pocket than the 3.5, missing the brutal acceleration though! Cheers!

Hi Pieter,

How did you find the injector cleaner? Did you use the mitsu one (MZ100722EX)?

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the LIQUI MOLY PRO-LINE JETCLEAN DIESEL INJECTION CLEANER or the MZ100722EX
PajeroNewbie
Vehicle: 2000 Pajero DiD

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Hello

What year is your vehicle, if an early model, look at getting the small clip that supports the timing chain checked out, it is found at the top of the engine so is clearly visible if you take off the tappet cover, it costs R350 from Mitsu, however if that clip wears out and the timing chain snaps, then you are looking at RRRRR out of you pocket.

Regards
Mark

Return to “Introduce Yourself”

Login · Register