How does an oil change improve performance?

No need to hide! You'll eventually hanker for a Mitsu :) In the meantime perhaps we can still help.
HBannink
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: Pajero gen2 3l lwb

Re: How does an oil change improve performance?

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:55 am

The lash adjusters working properly can have an influence on consumption in the long run but during low rpm idle the negligible difference in valve opening can not have the effect of pushing the idle up so much.

I was more sceptical about the use of a full synthetic oil as my Pajero has an older engine and the tolerances are not as fine as with the newer German type cars. The older synthetics had a reputation of being too fine for the older engines resulting in the typical breek & stukkend sounding engine, and as you said our moderate climate also has its bit to play. I was wrong, the engine has none of the disturbing sounds on start up, hot or cold weather, and as an added bonus it actually runs cooler under load with the higher oil pressure indicating a good film of lubricant in the bearing areas.

I have done close on to 40k with the edge and have been pleasantly surprised by its performance, not only does it o its thing in the lead copper bearinged turbo crackerjack but it has proven itself in all my work bakkies and the pajie. Unlike the previous generation of synthetics Castrol claim that this new lot can be mixed with mineral oil without nasty consequences as before. I prefer to just carry an extra liter of oil in the drawers for top up purposes.

It seems as if the oil engineers, or chemists are making some great new discoveries with the new stuff at their disposal, the new generation of lubricants are a work of art but in the same breath I would add that if I happened to run a diesel I would still be a dello fan.

Henk Bannink

Some people are wise, some people are otherwise
MR
MR2-Blue

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:25 pm

To me, the topic sound like religion - you either believe in it - or you don't.... :mrgreen:

I believe, any oil has the same value for the engine as long as the specifications are met....
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:40 pm

MR2-Blue wrote:To me, the topic sound like religion - you either believe in it - or you don't.... :mrgreen:

I believe, any oil has the same value for the engine as long as the specifications are met....
Heresy!

Since I believe differently, I will never join your denomination! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All oils are not equal (and for that there is adequate scientific proof).
Heresy is a controversial or novel change to a system of beliefs, especially a religion, that conflicts with established dogma.[1] It is distinct from apostasy, which is the formal denunciation of one's religion, principles or cause,[2] and blasphemy, which is irreverence toward religion.[3] The founder or leader of a heretical movement is called a heresiarch, while individuals who espouse heresy are known as heretics. Heresiology is the study of heresy.
;)

her·e·sy
   /ˈhɛrəsi/ Show Spelled[her-uh-see] Show IPA
–noun, plural -sies.
opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, esp. of a church or religious system.
the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine.
Roman Catholic Church . the willful and persistent rejection of any article of faith by a baptized member of the church.
any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
MR
MR2-Blue

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:23 pm

4ePajero wrote:Heresy!

Since I believe differently, I will never join your denomination! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't worry - I don't mind - everybody needs to believe in his own little orbit ... ;)
4ePajero wrote:All oils are not equal (and for that there is adequate scientific proof).
...and where is the scientific proof ...:D ....strong quotes about religion but w/o any scientific background on oil quality....
Th
Theunsb

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Well all I know is since I moved to Delo 400 my V6 24 out of sinc platoon now wears soft sole boots and I do not have to put the radio as hard as possible to hear my own head tick above the Pajero's march band. :mrgreen:
Last Monday dealer serviced it and true as bob same day the band performs again. :cry:
Come last Friday had the new oil drained and engine flushed, new oil filter and the engine filled-up with Delo 400. Saturday the platoon behaves again.
Maybe My head outperforms the 24 valves but my hearing as to the source of the machine gun platoon performance leaves no doubt the Delo works either on the engine or my hearing. :?
HBannink
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: Pajero gen2 3l lwb

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:52 am

There is no substitute for prolonging engine life like a decent oil. Oil is much more than just a lubricant, it cools, cleans and has a host of other duties. If one does not get his hands dirty under the bonnet you would believe that all oils are equal but believe me if you want to have your engine and drive train last as long as possible there is no substitute for good oil of which there are a few on the market, Dello and Edge just being two of the many.
You don't believe all tyres are equal do you :twisted: why should oil be :?:
Henk Bannink

Some people are wise, some people are otherwise
Mc
Mcnoogle

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I am also a religious nutcase about oils, ever since I had my 'Performance enhanced' Polo, I have been using 'naught' but synthetics, although, I have not kept tabs on 'what' synthetics.

Its also only since I got my Pajero that I learned what the '10' or the '40' in 10W40 etc is, but have not done my own oil changes yet, as I trust Malcolm, my mackie implicitly.

Hank, I have the same problem with Bismark and his marching band (although it seems to quieten down somewhat) after a bit of warm-up (I think its because the 8 pounders cant keep up with the riflemen).

Thus I am most interested in what you say (can I join your heretic society) and would be wanting to know what 'Edge' oil do I buy, who makes edge, and what temp/viscosity do I by.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 pm

can't judge yet on the performance aspect but I just serviced my gen3 Di-D with new oil filter (damn it's big), diesel filter (damn that's big too! - and expensive as I could only source it from the dealer) and delo 400 oil.

immediately on startup the revs were higher than normal with cold startup by about 300rpm but came down after about 30 seconds.

I instantly heard that the engine is running smoother.

I'm looking forward to my first long trip with it next week! :P
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 am

Gents

Firstly, I agree with the notion of using the best oil for the required application. A simple calculation shows that if you want to reduce driving cost, the way to go is to adapt your driving to use less fuel. If you can use 0.5% less fuel on a DiD and 0.2% on a 3.8V6, you will save enough money from service to service (R350) to buy decent oil. So don’t try to save money on your oil cost.

As far as noticeable performance change with new oil goes…. mmmm. That is a difficult one. I know my car feels quicker and more quiet after a decent wash, also difficult to explain.

On a serious note: a modern engine runs with ZERO friction. If oil is bad enough to result in enough friction to be noticeable, one is tempted to believe that such an engine will seize within minutes.

I cannot recall reading anything about the condition of the oil that came out of the 200 Kompressor, only the dirty (clogged?) condition of the oil filter. I can think of only one reason (other than valve lifter operation) why a dirty filter will reduce performance: an oil filter has a bypass valve to allow oil flow even when the filter is clogged - dirty oil is better than no oil. My old Austin 1100 had a light on the dash that illuminated when that happened. Is it possible that a modern computer controlled engine will reduce power when it senses a clogged oil filter? That said, logic suggests that if the computer senses a clogged filter it will not only reduce power, but also give a noticeable warning (limp mode?).

My 2c worth.
Roelf

Return to “All Other Brands”

Login · Register