Fortuner custom rear anti-roll bar

No need to hide! You'll eventually hanker for a Mitsu :) In the meantime perhaps we can still help.
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: Fortuner custom rear anti-roll bar

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 am

Far be it from me to bash another brand.
I am more concerned about family and friends who drive these vehicles.
I have driven a Fortuner and has spent some time in one. It is a good vehicle!
The D4D engine is a gem too!

It still seems that the instability problem only occurs in some examples, others are fine!
I don't think it is driver error, because instances have been reported by drivers who drive / have driven many other bakkies and/or SUVs.

Here is an example of an unexpected Fortuner roll-over. The driver was using his boss' Fortuner, because his Touareg was in for service/repairs:
Yip the 'Tuna came off second best here.
I was just cruising along at 120 on the cruise control and hit like a puddle of water running across the road and the rear end came out, and roly poly i went.
I tried to avoid it but there was nothing to be done. Twice I thought I got it under control but then it just went again.
I am fine not a scratch or nothing. I held onto the steering wheel when I felt the rear hit the dip closed my eyes and held on with all I had. Opened my eyes and my face was half in the water. If was knocked out I could have drowned. Only the bloody curtain air bag on my side came out. nothing else deployed.

Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
JonnyD
Vehicle: Pajero IO

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 pm

A farmer friend of mine, which grew up on gravel roads sold his Fortuner because of this. (His wife drives the Fortuner) Another friend of mine drives a 4x2 version of the Fortuner and also said it was unstable to the point that he avoided gravel roads. After a new set of tyres it was better.

I personally have never driven a Fortuner myself, but I just ask myself: Why would these gentleman lie about their experiences? Both are/were very happy with the other aspects of the vehicle. I can't even "bash" Toyota as a brand as I currently drive a Camry and has driven two other Toyotas before.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:35 pm

Gerhard,

The story you quote sounds like aqua planing. I'm not too sure if that is part of the "classic" Fortuner tail-end woes. Still, I'd like to think that an independantly prung rear setup would have made recovery more likely than the current Fortuner setup.

Your theory on the rubber bushes makes a lot sense. You may remember the Passat Sedan from the early eighties. They had rubber bushes that were designed to deform under lateral forces and cause rear axle steering. Only this time the rear end would steer into the corner. I think it was called "Weisach" and adapted from the Porche 924.
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:50 pm

RoelfleRoux wrote: The story you quote sounds like aqua planing.
Most probably, yes.
One encounters these "wet strips" on a regular basis (eg where the road goes from a LH curve to a RH curve), and the worst is where you hit the "puddle" with only one set of wheels.

One does not expect that to result in a uncontrolable slide, though.

It does however support my theory.
The resistance of one (rear) wheel hitting the water might just be enough to cause the axle to get out of alignment just enough to steer the vehicle, with the rsultant battle to control it.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me

Return to “All Other Brands”

Login · Register