Advice seeked on possible damage to engine

No need to hide! You'll eventually hanker for a Mitsu :) In the meantime perhaps we can still help.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Advice seeked on possible damage to engine

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Gents,

The wife's Toyota RunX was serviced yesterday. The first one after the maint plan expired and thus done at my favourite independant in town.

He showed me the plugs that came out. The plugs had two sets of washers, he says the previous service didn't remove the old washers and fitted the new washers on top of the old set. There is a build-up of carbon "growing" along the outside of the spark plugs. I assume this is because of "blow-by" past the double layer of washers.

We were in Stellenbosch last week and rented a little i10. Wife said it pulled better than her RunX, now she has to lift her right foot to prevent the RunX from getting away from her.

My questions:
1)Did the blow-by cause any damage to the engine?
2)Can condition described above explain the remarkable difference in performance?

Thanks
Roelf

4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: Advice seeked on possible damage to engine

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

The extra washers effectively changed the heat range of the plugs (made the 'cooler').

I think the worst could be some carbon build up.

Time for a dose of 2-stroke! (10 tanks at 1:200 dilution). :D (Ek's seriaas!)
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: Advice seeked on possible damage to engine

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Gerhard,

I was hoping one of you guys would come to the party, thanks.

I never thought of the heat range on the plug. I was wondering if the position of the actual spark played a role, but didn't really buy that.

Yip, I have already started calculating how to mix the 2-stroke oil to get the correct mixture in that tiny little tank.

Thanks again,
Roelf

Return to “All Other Brands”

Login · Register