The story of Casper 3.2Didc GLS LWB 2009

Show off your ride!
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: The story of Casper 3.2Didc GLS LWB 2009

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Kurt

Thanks yes, I did think the globes were a bit pricey but Mitsu was on my way to work and supposed to have the right stuff on the shelf so rather just went there. Luckily they had stock

In any case my recent experience with Oriental plaza led globes just made me rather go Original Equipment again for a bit of sanity.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
JTEC
Vehicle: 05 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 pm

CATS wrote:So decided that the cat converter has done enough work at 160000kms and had it taken out. I don't think it was really radically blocked. Will see if it makes any difference to performance or fuel economy but not expecting miracles. Just helping Casper breath a bit easier and getting rid of old gasses easier.

CATS

Cats could you maybe help clear this up for me..correct me if im wrong but the Gen 4 injection is controlled by the ECU where the Gen 3 is controlled via mechanical timing. If you remove the cat from the Gen4 , the ecu will get incorrect mixture readings and will try to compensate for this change and begin to run rich. I know this happens on petrol engine engines and usually remapping is required but dont have a clue with Diesels. Have you noticed a consumption change? Also is there any effect on the Gen 3 ?

Thanks
Jtec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CATS

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 pm

JTEC wrote:
CATS wrote:So decided that the cat converter has done enough work at 160000kms and had it taken out. I don't think it was really radically blocked. Will see if it makes any difference to performance or fuel economy but not expecting miracles. Just helping Casper breath a bit easier and getting rid of old gasses easier.

CATS

Cats could you maybe help clear this up for me..correct me if im wrong but the Gen 4 injection is controlled by the ECU where the Gen 3 is controlled via mechanical timing. If you remove the cat from the Gen4 , the ecu will get incorrect mixture readings and will try to compensate for this change and begin to run rich. I know this happens on petrol engine engines and usually remapping is required but dont have a clue with Diesels. Have you noticed a consumption change? Also is there any effect on the Gen 3 ?

Thanks
Jtec

On both my previous gen 3 and current gen4 I cant say that I noticed a material change in power or fuel consumption after cat removal. Definately more noticable turbo whistle and more pungent diesel smell from exhaust though.

Does seem to rev easier but might be imagination.

I dont think the gen3 or early gen4 has sensor on or after the cat, so it will not pick up anything different on the ECU as there is nothing to measure. On later models there are apparently sensors which will throw fualt code if you decat.

CATS

JTEC
Vehicle: 05 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 am

CATS wrote:
JTEC wrote:

CATS

Thanks
Jtec

On both my previous gen 3 and current gen4 I cant say that I noticed a material change in power or fuel consumption after cat removal. Definately more noticable turbo whistle and more pungent diesel smell from exhaust though.

Does seem to rev easier but might be imagination.

I dont think the gen3 or early gen4 has sensor on or after the cat, so it will not pick up anything different on the ECU as there is nothing to measure. On later models there are apparently sensors which will throw fualt code if you decat.

CATS

Ok great thanks. I have been keen to remove the cat but was a little concerned. Just another quick question, would you recommend blanking the EGT ?

Great thread btw, really enjoy reading it. 8-)
CATS

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

I blanked the EGR and would advise doing that. On early gen4 before 2010 this is possible without a fault code. Try and block it at the exhaust side before the actual EGR flap/butterfly to prevent it from getting gunked up otherwise it will get stuck some time and will throw fault code even though it is not actually doing anything anymore.

CATS

CATS

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Had remap and 170000km service done at Mitsitech. Also flushed auto gearbox and and replaced gearbox filter and gearbox oil. The gearbox was only done as extra maintenance as I tow every now and again when I go away and still feel a bit weary of these autoboxes after having driven a manual Pajero for so long.

MAF sensor was also found to be faulty and was replaced.

Must say it feels more powerfull. Will check fuel usage but can't wait for the real test when I go camping again.

Attached is the dyno report.

CATSImage

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:23 am

Sounds good Cats, hope you see a real improvement when towing.

- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 am

CATS wrote:Had remap and 170000km service done at Mitsitech. Also flushed auto gearbox and and replaced gearbox filter and gearbox oil. The gearbox was only done as extra maintenance as I tow every now and again when I go away and still feel a bit weary of these autoboxes after having driven a manual Pajero for so long.

MAF sensor was also found to be faulty and was replaced.

Must say it feels more powerfull. Will check fuel usage but can't wait for the real test when I go camping again.

Attached is the dyno report.

CATSImage

Nice :)

What did they charge for the MAF? Part number 1525A016 ?

Ah, just saw your other post that you got a 2nd hand one :)
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
CATS

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am

Second hand they charged R2500 for the MAF sensor, which was ouch after the service, dyno and gearbox service, but I think in line with pricing in the market.

CATS

Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 am

CATS wrote:Second hand they charged R2500 for the MAF sensor, which was ouch after the service, dyno and gearbox service, but I think in line with pricing in the market.

CATS

Definitely better than R11k from the dealers :)

I still might consider replacing mine, even though it seems fine after cleaning.
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)

Return to “Showcase your Pajero”

Login · Register