The story of Casper 3.2Didc GLS LWB 2009

Show off your ride!
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: The story of Casper 3.2Didc GLS LWB 2009

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

I agree. I think the progressive idea is good, but I think in my case the softer part was always used up with my constant load, so I ended up with just a shorter coil. The new black ones actually feel much more composed yet stiffer. Off course if I should empty my car and drive it like that it will be horribly hard.

CATS
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
CATS

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:08 pm

So eventually had time to stop at the Oriental mall here in Centurion and buy some led replacement bulbs for Casper's interior. They are a bit too bright maybe? But I really like the nice fresh white light over the old faded orange. Photos don't do it justice but believe me they are day and night from the old ones.

I also managed to replace the approach lamps in the mirror of the GLS model with white led. T type push in led globe.
To get to them is easy once you understand how to get the bottom retainer clips on the mirror to unclip using a flat strong blade butterknife. Just pull the mirror bottom part out and unclip the bottom retaining clips with the knife being pushed in between the mirror part(black plastic) and mirror mount(white plastic) Pics of mirror I got from a member on Pajero club Australia posting. So credit to him.

This is the end result. I like it.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
CATS

Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 pm

So this week I was at Parthunt in Pretoria to source rear windows for Simon and decided to buy one of these aircon fans and retrofit to my Pajero, which for some or other reason, did not have one fitted.

Price was R1000 for the fan and they also gave me the bolts that go with it as well as the relay that plugs into the fuse box inside the engine bay. Not sure if this is a good price as I did not even phone dealers fir comparison.

Fit was reasonably easy once I removed the nudge bar and grill. I also had to remove the one hooter/tweeter plus some plastic support piece in the middle before fitting the fan. There was already a plug and once plugged in it worked as planned/expected.

Not sure if it will make any difference to aircon efficiency or engine heat management, but it just feels good to know that my Pajero have all the available parts in it. I felt a bit cheated knowing that other Pajero's in South Africa have this part.

CATS
Image<br />
Image<br />

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Re: RE: Re: The story of Casper 3.2Didc GLS LWB 2009

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:07 am

CATS wrote:Ok. So since newer(gen4) Pajero's is a few years advanced over(gen3) Pajero's it has OBD2 compliant port. This unfortunately seems to indicate that one cannot do the diy fault code reading that one can do on a gen3 Pajero viewtopic.php?t=3193 .BUT it does mean that one can buy some cool OBD2 readers

from the net and read all types of info on your phone or other device using Bluetooth or Wifi on Apples, including fault codes. I bought a reader from a South African supplier as I did not want to wait for an ebay thingy to hang ages in customs. It worked out maybe slightly more expensive but was easy friendly and fast(next day delivery). I bought a more expensive unit (ELM327 Vgate BLUETOOTH MODEL
(ANDROID & WINDOWS))that switch itself off after a while when idle in order for it to be left plugged in. The cheaper versions do not have this option and drain your battery if left plugged in. All in with courier delivery it was around R500. I bought from this supplier

http://www.cardiagnostictools.co.za/

I then downloaded the free Torque app for my Android phone and started playing. I bought the pro version of the app for around R50 as I wanted to specifically monitor the gearbox temp and apparently this is only doable with that.

I read up a lot about the matter on the Pajero forum from the Ausie guys down under

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... hp?t=28002

There are 2 settings that are VERY important. One is a custom PID needed to read the transmission temp, otherwise it just mirrors the coolant temp reading, and the other is a communication setting otherwise the device itself actually cause a fault code in certain instances. Read the whole thread attached for those. Of course the device also enable on to clear fault codes so I believe is almost a necessity in today's advanced computer driven vehicles if you plan to go off the beaten track. Well that was one of my reasonings to spend the money and I am sticking to it. [http://www]

So far I love the extra info that one can display and read. It is truly amazing although a lot of it I don't yet understand. The main thing for me was a more accurate coolant temp reading and also the transmission temp especially when towing. Unfortunately it does not seem to support Exhaust Gas Temp EGT on my vehicle as that would have been an extra bonus.

CATS

Great to follow what you've done to your new baby here. I'm really intruiged by the tracking of stats from the phone.

Out of interest does the wifi version of the OBD tool also work with the torque app? Asking because I already use Bluetooth for speakerphone / music...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Karl

CATS

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The story of Casper 3.2Didc GLS LWB 2009

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:44 am

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk wrote:
CATS wrote:Ok. So since newer(gen4) Pajero's is a few years advanced over(gen3) Pajero's it has OBD2 compliant port.
Great to follow what you've done to your new baby here. I'm really intruiged by the tracking of stats from the phone.

Out of interest does the wifi version of the OBD tool also work with the torque app? Asking because I already use Bluetooth for speakerphone / music...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
I think Torque only works on Bluetooth. There is a similar app on iTunes for Apple phones that use wi-fi but not sure if one can download it on an Android device. I have run music, seperate handsfree and the Torque app simultaneously and it all worked, no hassles. The app is just a bit power hungry, possibly due to the screen staying on constantly. Even plugged in to a 2.5amp usb cig charger it runs down slowly and also get very hot.

I have started to only use the app on my phone in specific situations for I have noticed big swings in the past through usage, to conserve battery power. Mostly long hill climbs and thick sand.

I am still strugling to log a period of monitoring on a graph to look at it later and determine some things from it though. Have not really put much effort into that as well to be honest.

CATS

Roelf_le_Roux

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:48 am

Masker,
There is a whole host of Android double din radios on the market at the moment. You simply run the app on the radio and your data is displayed on the big DVD monitor.

If my wife and bank manager gives me the go-ahead I'll be considering one of those for my new truck after our August overland holiday.
CATS

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 pm

So I eventually blocked off the EGR to help the engine breath cleaner air and stop gunking up the inlet manifold. Have not taken the manifold off to see if it has any material gunk in there but will probably do so at some stage. Job was easy enough using blanking plate that I got from a kind member. On my 2009 model blanking the EGR has not thrown a CEL or fault code and I have driven it now fitted for just over a month. Image

Fitment took all of 30minutes. Cant really mention any performance or other benefits that I can notice, but good to know it is done.

CATS

LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:39 pm

CATS, was the aux tank a straight swap, or did you have to modify the brackets?
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
CATS

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:20 am

LowRange wrote:CATS, was the aux tank a straight swap, or did you have to modify the brackets?
I had to grind the one bracket slightly to make it fit, but it was not a big issue. I had this done by someone so not sure exactly what he did, but it was definitely not a show stopper.

CATS
CATS

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 pm

I wonder if I can ever imagine myself without a Pajero in my life? Neither can my kids! This photo was taken by my 10year old.

CATSImage

Return to “Showcase your Pajero”