My 3.8 Shorty

Show off your ride!
Sab073-8
Vehicle: Gen 4 Pajero 3.8 GLS swb

My 3.8 Shorty

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi,

This is my Gen 4 Shorty, haven't been able to come up with a name yet so I'll use Shorty until I come up with something more fitting. I'm slowly getting things done to get to where I'd like to be but I have a feeling this will be a bit of a long journey.
IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4132.JPG
Swapped out the head unit the day after buying the car for a unit that would take USB, installed new splits because of a blown speaker, then amp and sub the next day. I later went through the arduous task of installing 6x9s on a hot Northern Cape afternoon.
Did the exhaust about a month ago. I've kept it very conservative, single pipe out the left hand side. The neighbours have commented that they know I'm on my way home long before I come around the corner though but that's more a result of my driving style.

Now the rear seats are gone in favour of a drawer system and overall I'm quite happy with the result. I can no longer retrieve the jack but I replaced the standard jack with something a tad beefier that now sits in a bag behind the driver's seat.
20171125_180722_cr.jpg
Next steps, sort out the rattling rear door and side windows (they don't like the music I listen to), maybe some wheel spacers to change the stance a bit, darker tint on the rear windows and a few minor cosmetic enhancements. Overall I'm really happy with the car so far, I never thought I'd enjoy having sacrificed performance from my previous car but the Shorty is a good companion, and thanks to the v6 and my concrete right foot I have a good relationship with the local petrol stations

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Re: My 3.8 Shorty

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 am

Wow, it sounds like you should rather be driving a Golf GTI than a proper 4x4 .

Enjoy the Paj young man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
TinusK
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID GLS

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 am

Very nice!

A suggestion. I replaced my Gen3's interior lights with LED's. It makes quite a difference with a bright, white light instead of the yellow lights. And your battery won't run out if you forget a door open...
Sab073-8

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:40 pm

No hatches for me, for a few yrs I drove a Honda that was happy living around the redline so that is firmly in my system now. With the Paj I now cruise happily at 110-120 for hours 8-) no stress

Thanks Tinus, will pick up a pack of LEDs when I get a chance.
Vi
VictorSables

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:21 pm

hiSab073-8
I am new to forum, but I am wondering if you have still the rear seats ? I am interested in purchasing the headrest.. you are welcome to contact me.
Thanks
Victor
082 435 5669
Sab073-8

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi Victor, I'll be hanging onto the seats for some time. Maybe someone else on the forum can help you out
Bunduman
Vehicle: Pajero 3.5l V6 1995, Pajero 3.8l V6 2007

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 am

Hello all, I am new to this forum as well and glad to hear from a 3.8 Shorty clone twin. I am looking at a number of mods including installation of rear diffloc. I am considering replacing the diff centre with a used one that had diffloc. Can anyone please point me in the right direction where this can be done at a reasonable cost. diff ratio is 4.3

OT
GABORONE
Bunduman
Vehicle: Pajero 3.5l V6 1995, Pajero 3.8l V6 2007

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:50 am

Hello all, I am new to this forum as well and glad to hear from a 3.8 Shorty clone twin. I am looking at a number of mods including installation of rear diffloc. I am considering replacing the diff centre with a used one that had diffloc. Can anyone please point me in the right direction where this can be done at a reasonable cost. diff ratio is 4.3

OT
GABORONE
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Bunduman wrote:Hello all, I am new to this forum as well and glad to hear from a 3.8 Shorty clone twin. I am looking at a number of mods including installation of rear diffloc. I am considering replacing the diff centre with a used one that had diffloc. Can anyone please point me in the right direction where this can be done at a reasonable cost. diff ratio is 4.3

OT
GABORONE
I heard from Mitsubishi themselves that it won’t work because the software of the TC will cause issues. Also, the expense you are going to have to deal with is not worth in my opinion. I much prefer my traction control to the diff-lock becuase the diff lock switches off the TC on the front wheels and then the car bogs down and spins at the back.

Once you understand the TC then you won’t need a DL, that’s just my opinion from some extensive off-road driving with my 2014 Shorty that has DL as standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:09 am

Kurt,
I find your post interesting.

1) Cloyd fitted a rear DL with his TC in place. He sourced the front and the rear diffs from an earlier model. He had to replace both because of ratio issues.

2) But, I actually believe the Mitsu statement about issues, because Isuzu says the same. They however only disable the rear TC, when you engage DL. The front TC remains active.

3) I'm totally surprised to hear that you prefer the TC over DL. I respect your opinion, because I know you have tested your shorty's abilities to the full.

To get back to original question, I think Cloyd's experience points to the difficulty of finding an identicallly geared diff. Nothing wrong with doing both diffs from the same doner - like Cloyd did.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Return to “Showcase your Pajero”

Login · Register