Pajero 3.2 oils and lubricants

This is where general information is stored for reference purposes. Please do not ask questions here. Only post here if you are posting reference information.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Re: Pajero 3.2 oils and lubricants

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:27 am

DELO MGX is the latest and greatest. It's DPF friendly.

What I do notice is that the trademark delo smell has now changed. The MGX stinks a bit whereas the previous delo smelled like a decent oil.

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:55 am

I see brand names being thrown around here. Do not be blinded by marketing. It is not about the brand names and synthetics but more about the specification and whether a product is most suited to an application or not - eg Castrol 5w/30 is not a heavy duty diesel engine oil, whereas Delo 400, Shell Rimula and many others are. While the handbook specifies an API "CD" which is quite low down on the diesel "scale" these days and an API "CF4" or higher is by far a better choice (note the alphabetical incriments CD, CE, CF4, etc (good, better, even better!).
Note: If you are servicing a diesel with a "questionable past" rather use the high spec diesel engine oil and new filter for 1000km and drain. Do it a second time if you wish. This removes any chance of sludge build up in the engine due to poor spec engine oil or bad service procedures. Do not use engine flush.

Synthetics are more suitable for sensitive mechanical systems which are prone to problems / ie under engineered. Pajero systems are not and use of synthetics is an unnecessary extravagance.

Make sure you use a GL5 on the diffs and an SAE 85w/140 viscosity works well, versus the lower viscosity SAE 80W/90 which is more suited to low ambients.

Be cautious when using "equivalent" ATF's. While a claim "meets the rquirements of ....." with a lower price might be attractive, think how much a transmission repair will cost!

Remember that DOT3 brake fluid is only suitable for one year and DOT4 two years!
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Some good tips... Seems like good enough then based on 4e's comment? I had to buy oil at Makro today and it was all that was available. Putting it in in Monday - will try to observe any differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karl

stevedcp
Vehicle: pajero 3.2 swb 2009

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 am

Changed to Delo 400, engine is much quieter, so far very happy. Was using Castrol 5w30 before.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 am

I serviced a 3.8 V6 Gen3 last week for the second time.

The first service I used shell helix hx5 which exceeds the required specs. The client averaged about 16.5l/100km.

The last service I used delo 400 MGX. His first tank after service returned sub 14l/100km. So the first tank savings on a super duper oil almost paid for the service.

Never ever underestimate the value of a service with good oil.
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm

4ePikanini wrote:I serviced a 3.8 V6 Gen3 last week for the second time.

The first service I used shell helix hx5 which exceeds the required specs. The client averaged about 16.5l/100km.

The last service I used delo 400 MGX. His first tank after service returned sub 14l/100km. So the first tank savings on a super duper oil almost paid for the service.

Never ever underestimate the value of a service with good oil.
Hardly a notable sample size for any kind of reliable comparative result is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Ge
Gerharddc

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Kurt
There are many variables here influencing this results.

I am still glad about the feedback received about the oil as it highligts something to consider when oil is changed.

Probably impractical to scientifically evaluate with the correct sample size from service histories.

Thumps up for both Kurt and 4ePikanini. :D

Gerhard
Bravo7
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2DiD (2010)

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:32 pm

Hi Gents,

I have found the previous posts very helpful. Thanks! :D

I would like to find out from those of you who have changed your ATF fluid yourselves.

My brief research shows that it is a difficult thing to drain all the old ATF fluid and that quite a significant amount still remains in the system. This then just allows for a partial flushing, using the 5 or so liters of new oil that you introduce. I assume the dealers are able to carry out a full replacement of the ATF oil? What is your experience? Any tips in this regard?

Looking forward to your responses.
PARABAT
Vehicle: 2005 Pajero 3.2

Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 am

I’ve seen the mechanic use a vacuum hand pump ( exactly like a normal grease gun) but works opposite. He removes the oil filler plug and shoves a pipe down the hole till it reaches the bottom of the tray and starts to sucking out the rest of the oil.
Tally up all the oil to make sure you got it all.
That’s if you’re not prepared to remove the tray . You should do it if your km are high or if you don’t have a service record of your gearbox.
Cheers from down under.

Return to “Pajero Technical Library”

Login · Register