Strange Noise up front

This is where general information is stored for reference purposes. Please do not ask questions here. Only post here if you are posting reference information.
pe
peter.thorpe

Re: Strange Noise up front

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:37 am

More than likely a stone that wedged itself against the disc. Reversing can be a quick cure. Happens frequently.
Regards

Tick
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero, 3,2 DiD SWB A/T

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:34 am

Definitely not the brakes or a bearing. Now ore than ever convinced it is the same as experienced by tsnyders and Charlie. Thanks guys for your help. I am now on my way to solving this problem. Will confirm once done.

Cheers
2006 Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB A/T
Charlie
Vehicle: Pajero DID 3.2 GLS 2003

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:58 am

Hi all, had my vacuum diaphragm replaced on the front diff. and the grinding noise on de-acceleration is still there. I have checked for bearing play and there is none so no good news. It is an intermittent noise happens when you start driving and on de-acceleration stops when changing from 2wd to 4wd. After driving for more then 20min. nothing, no noise.
When I say grinding noise I mean steel on steel and it slows the car down and then a clicking sound as if something is dis-engaging and the car is free wheeling as normal.
If there is any one out there that can explain it, I would be very grateful.

Charlie
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Sounds like something in the gearbox. Hope it isn't too serious.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Charlie. If it goes away when in 4wd it might be linked to the actuator. Does any of the 4 dash lights indicating 4wd state flash during that time when it makes the noise?

Check the actuator shaft is en/disengaging when you park and seitch off. Marius 4eJunior had a nice write up on it somwhere. I will try and search. It is visible from the front midlle of the vehicle when underneath somewhere. Sometimes the rubber peotecting it perish and it does not move freely due to dirt and grime.

CATS
Edit. Got the thread I was refering to. Maybe check that out as a possible cause. https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42
Read from post #1

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Charlie
Vehicle: Pajero DID 3.2 GLS 2003

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks Cats, no flashing lights in any drive mode other then when changing, I've read the link you send and will inspect the different components, that will take a while. I will start with the actuator shaft and check item by item. I feel that the problem is located in the front and more mechanical then electrical I say that because the 4wd(all selections) works fine.
I did a Namib trip last year with 4x4 trails and all, nothing no noise, came back to Cape Town and a week later the noise started again. As I said its intermittent but worry-some.

Charlie
shinegopinadh
Vehicle: Pajero 2007 GLS

Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:36 am

Charlie wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 am
Thanks Cats, no flashing lights in any drive mode other then when changing, I've read the link you send and will inspect the different components, that will take a while. I will start with the actuator shaft and check item by item. I feel that the problem is located in the front and more mechanical then electrical I say that because the 4wd(all selections) works fine.
I did a Namib trip last year with 4x4 trails and all, nothing no noise, came back to Cape Town and a week later the noise started again. As I said its intermittent but worry-some.

Charlie
Hi, I'm facing same issue on my 2007 GLS Pajero, same intermittent grinding sound from the front differential, kindly let me know how did you fixed this.

Thanks
Shine

Return to “Pajero Technical Library”

Login · Register