Stalling 3.2DiD

This is where general information is stored for reference purposes. Please do not ask questions here. Only post here if you are posting reference information.
7P
7Pajeros

Re: Stalling 3.2DiD

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:22 am

My Gen 3 (2004) with 240,000 km been doing the exact same thing for a couple of months. Definitely worse when hot than col and only at idle.
I took the injection pump out and had it recalibrated
at Allan Black in Springs.
For about a week it was OK then same symptom started again.
I didnt suspect filter because blockages normally do the opposite. i.e idle fine but lose power or surge at speed.

Diagnostic (counting flashes) shows no error codes. But strangely if the battery is disconnected for a while (like over night) then it is fine again for a couple of hours before the erratic idle starts again.
Mine does not actually cut out (yet) but seems like it might soon...

4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 pm

7Pajeros wrote:My Gen 3 (2004) with 240,000 km been doing the exact same thing for a couple of months. Definitely worse when hot than col and only at idle.
I took the injection pump out and had it recalibrated
at Allan Black in Springs.
For about a week it was OK then same symptom started again.
I didnt suspect filter because blockages normally do the opposite. i.e idle fine but lose power or surge at speed.

Diagnostic (counting flashes) shows no error codes. But strangely if the battery is disconnected for a while (like over night) then it is fine again for a couple of hours before the erratic idle starts again.
Mine does not actually cut out (yet) but seems like it might soon...
check the butterfly adjustment

https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3035
Mitsu Fan
Vehicle: Pajero Gen 4 2015

Sun May 01, 2016 2:51 pm

Kurt
I seem to recall a post on the 4x4 community forum where a guy reported a similar problem on a Pajero Sport and it turned out to be a pipe on the induction side that had perished and excess air was being sucked in.
Another post reported perished innards of a valve also on the induction side. The symptoms described are not blocked suction lines from the tank. There would be a lack of upper end performance if it was relatedm
Cheers
Th
Thabso

Mon May 02, 2016 7:17 am

Kurt,
I had fuel pump trouble with my 2005 DiD. If you really want expert advice talk to Bradley at Allen Black http://alanblack.co.za/contact.html
Regards,
Willem
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 am

Hi gents, thanks for the comments and options. I actually sold the car last week and traded it in on a newer SWB. The idling problem wasn't the reason, it just coincided with the purchase as luck would have it. The dealer I sold it to is aware of the issue and will have it checked out by the workshop. Thanks again, much appreciated.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Kr
Krich

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi all

I've recently begun experiencing an interesting variation on this stalling problem. For me it happens only when I start the engine, but not every start, perhaps 1 in every 10. The engine kicks into life perfectly and then idles for 5 to 10 seconds and then cuts out. This weekend I managed to pick up that the stall coincides with the air-con kicking in (could also be a red herring though). I can start the car with no hassles with the AC off, let it idle for a few seconds, then if I push the AC switch it will stall.

In addition, it seems to happen more frequently the closer the tank gets to empty (or I could be imagining this).

The engine is able to start up again after the stall with a few more seconds of cranking.

What are your thoughts on this? I've changed the diesel filter in between having this problem so I can rule that out I think. The vehicle is a 2007 3.2 DiD.

Thanks all.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Krich wrote:Hi all

I've recently begun experiencing an interesting variation on this stalling problem. For me it happens only when I start the engine, but not every start, perhaps 1 in every 10. The engine kicks into life perfectly and then idles for 5 to 10 seconds and then cuts out. This weekend I managed to pick up that the stall coincides with the air-con kicking in (could also be a red herring though). I can start the car with no hassles with the AC off, let it idle for a few seconds, then if I push the AC switch it will stall.

In addition, it seems to happen more frequently the closer the tank gets to empty (or I could be imagining this).

The engine is able to start up again after the stall with a few more seconds of cranking.

What are your thoughts on this? I've changed the diesel filter in between having this problem so I can rule that out I think. The vehicle is a 2007 3.2 DiD.

Thanks all.
If you engage the aircon on the highway does it pull the power back a lot or work perfectly?

If the aircon works perfectly on the highway, disconnect the battery overnight.
Kr
Krich

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:42 am

Hi Marius

Thanks for the suggestion. Switching the AC on or off doesn't have any significant impact on the open road.

I'll try your suggestion of disconnecting the battery and report back on the results.

Cheers
Kyle
DandB
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2D

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,
At 240 000 it should have been a MAJOR service (all fluids & filters changed), so my guess is that either something that was at end of life, wasn't changed or the change has introduced a problem. Either way the service agent should be the one to address the problem.

I've just had a major service done & the most noticeable benefit was the improvement in the shifting now that the g/box oil & filter have been renewed.

Good luck

D
Kr
Krich

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:37 am

Hi all

I just thought I would give some feedback on the issue I was experiencing on this stalling issue. I initially tried the hard reset which did result in no stalling for a couple of hundred kms, however the issue came back after a while. I then took it to the guys at Alan Black who identified a faulty "suction control valve" using their diagnostics (the dealer I had taken it to earlier were unable to pick this up using their diagnostics...). The replacement part cost R 3,100. I'm not too sure on the labour cost as I had a general service done at the same time - which included some time on the dyno, which is great for piece of mind.

I've had it back for a few hundred kms now and there's a noticeable improvement in the idling smoothness. And I haven't experience another stall.

As an aside, I was quite impressed by the facilities they had at Alan Black. Very good service and workmanship too.

Return to “Pajero Technical Library”

Login · Register