Temperature indicator

This is where general information is stored for reference purposes. Please do not ask questions here. Only post here if you are posting reference information.
ws
wsnyman01

Temperature indicator

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi All.
I drive a 2004 Pajero SWB (3.2 did ). Time and again the temperature gauge goes up to the red, but after about 30 seconds it goes back to normal again. I changed the radiator cap, thermostat, and replaced the coolant but it still does the same. The vehicle is not really overheating, so I think there must be something wrong with the temperature gauge. Can someone please tell me where to look for it, and how to go about to change it.
Thank you in advance.
Wally

Bernard
Vehicle: Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 LWB

Re: Temperature indicator

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

Hi WsSnyman
Sounds like the electronic unit in the dash is at fault. You may have to replace the unit (around 2K i think). I had a similar issue, but, mine was with the fuel gauge and it was the PC board that had a loose connection.
If you google, you will find some guys have had success with a loose solder connection, however, I am not that clever and was unable to fix mine. I eventually purchased a new PC unit and installed it myself. No problems since.
If you want, I still have the old unit that you can try repair or use to diagnose your issue. I also have the actual gauge unit that goes in the display, but, this is brand new (R700) if you want.
The downside to replacing the unit is that I was unable to find someone to put the correct km's on the ODO and my car now has low km's for its age.. Lol

Return to “Pajero Technical Library”

Login · Register