Roll meter fix

This is where general information is stored for reference purposes. Please do not ask questions here. Only post here if you are posting reference information.
RK
RKnuppel

Roll meter fix

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Good day and all best for 2019. I have 1998 2.8 SWB Pajero.
The roll meter is starting to loose liquid. I assume this has to be a replacement part and cannot be fixed? Eyeball injection!!

Lm
Lmcloete

Re: Roll meter fix

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 am

Hi,
I performed this little operation successfully a few months back...
Basically the "eye" has thinner plastic at the back which is supposed to allow it to flex as pressure changes. I guess it was never planned to last 30+ years and is likely cracked (difficult to spot as it normally cracks along the riffles). You need to do the following...
1. Seal the ball.... especially the back - liberal amounts of clear epoxy will do the trick (don't worry, you won't see it as it is at the back)
2. Drill a very small hole in the top of the eye...you will see where it was originally sealed (thicker plastic with some yellowing glue if I remember correctly)
3. Fill a syringe with a 50/50 mixture of glycerine and bottled water (still Ha!). This should result in a nice clear solution with more or less the right consistency. The glycerine also reduces the risk of evaporation...
4. Inject the mixture into the eye through the hole you drilled, but don't seal it off... unfortunately the epoxy is likely to fail if you experience significant changes in pressure, so it is best to leave it open so it can breathe (stick to a very small hole).

Mine has not given any issues and is has probably been about 6months now...

Hope this helps?

Ps. I also fixed the thermometer display... this tends to stop working or work intermittently. It is fixed by replacing the blue 2A resistor ... Just make sure you get one that can handle some heat (wire wound).

All the best!
Louis
RK
RKnuppel

Re: Roll meter fix

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 am

Good day Louis. Thank you for this. I was only joking about the eyeball injection. Well here goes.
Ray

Return to “Pajero Technical Library”

Login · Register