Oil increasing in sump

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
idmclaggan
Vehicle: 2018 Pajero Sport 4x4 A/T

Oil increasing in sump

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:39 am

Good day All
Can anyone help? I have a 2018 Pajero Sport 4x4 A/T. In my hand book it says. "the engine oil level will be increased due to fuel being mixed in the engine oil when the DPF regenerates to burn away the DF". How is this possible? As far as my knowledge goes, the DPF is part of the exhaust system. So how does the DPF link to the engine oil system and even the fuel system? I don't think having diesel fuel in the engine oil is a good thing.
peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: Oil increasing in sump

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Fuel delivery is purposely increased by thee ECU to allow for the process. Oil drain is carried out right after to get rid of fuel contaminated engine oil.
idmclaggan
Vehicle: 2018 Pajero Sport 4x4 A/T

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:05 am

Thank you very much for the info.
Can you give me anymore info on how fuel gets into the engine oil and how it gets separated/removed again?
Or can you tell me where I can find this info? Regard Ian
Roelf_le_Roux

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 pm

The ECU increases the diesel being injected to such an extent that unburned diesel flows past the pistons and ends up in the sump.
You don't seperate the diesel from the oil again. You drain the oil and dispose of it.
I am however totally surprised by the severity of the over fueling and that the owner's manual actually states that the diesel will get into the sump. In my simple understanding of diesel engines, is fuel "washing" over pistons not good at all because it washes the oil off the cylinder wall and can lead to damage.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register

Login  •  Register