3.2 Di-D Owners beware! Oil pressure switch failure

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
JohanV
Vehicle: Pajero '01 - 3.2Di-D - LWB

Re: 3.2 Di-D Owners beware! Oil pressure switch failure

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:41 am

Been thinking the same thing as it was only the red that came on. Maybe i didnt give the light enough time to come on. :?:

Just there next to the road i checked the oil level on the dipstick and the level showed still about 10mm on the bottom of the dipstick.

These 2001 Di-d we have got those wire type dipsticks but mine was bend and the wire started fraying so i have it replace and got one of those metal type dipsticks now

The Picture is one i took 2weeks back after the oil change and not next to the road after the oil sensor failure
Attachments
20120317655.jpg
Last edited by JohanV on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 am

just do some comparisons to make sure you read the level right

https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/view ... =24&t=2839
ma
macjohnw

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:12 pm

dwinter wrote:Roelf,

It only turns on when the engine is cold and I'm heading up an incline (even a relatively flattish one). When I'm back on level ground it turns off.

I can drive the same inclines with a slightly warmer engine and it doesn't come on.

For those who know Cape Town: I leave work in Mowbray, onto the N2 towards town, when I'm halfway up hospital bend the oil level light turns on, but when I hit the downhill bends on De Waal drive it turns off never to come on again on that trip. But if I'm driving home from the airport by the time I hit hospital bend the engine is warm and the light doesn't come on.

I think they added a bit more oil than standard on my last service because it didn't do this until I'd done about 5000kms...
My Gen 3 does the same and after long searches I just overfill it by about 500ml. I also use Delo 400 and it still does it. It happened two days ago - same conditions - early in the morning during an uphill the orange lights up for about 10sec and dies down - it does not come on again until the next morning, same place, same time - oil level on the max mark. It also got cold here very quickly two days ago, so I reckon HBannink is onto something with the cold-oil theory. It does not happen during the summer as easy.
fouche
Vehicle: 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Funny, i also had the same. Just did about 3500km's since the previous leak. I did some hard driving through Botswana the past two weeks, the Paj just handled those roads beautifully. About the switch, a small bugger that cost R80 at dealers, that can leave you stranded between nowhere and somewhere. It looks to be service item, and i would suggest to have it checked out every 5000km. The Genuine part no at Mitsu for my Paj 2001 Model 3.2 DID is MC840219 (Oil Preasure Switch). I will definately keep a spare as this will cost you dearly if youre out in the Khalahari or somewhere remote.
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:43 pm

4ePikanini wrote:I would definitely call it a maintenance item. It is a common failure noted on various forums. Thank goodness for the low oil level as the oil pressure switch was so faulty it wouldn't have shown low oil pressure. That would have been a R50k failure from a R70 part. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mitsubishi charges R70 for the thing and it's a fairly simple DIY - now that I figured out how to get there. Removing the intake pipe, airbox and boost pipe takes 2 minutes (phillips screwdriver and 12mm spanner) and is a cleaner method than crawling underneath through the bash plate to remove the oil filter for access.

NOTE : Mine was a generic part that came out with a 24 socket but the genuine Mitsu one requires a deep 27mm socket.
Been crawling all over the Pajero yesterday to try and find an oil leak on the driver's side of the motor. Eventually decided to clean hands and come have a look at the Forum as it had me totally baffled and............ voila!

Will get the part tomorrow and replace. (And a spare one.)

Thanks for this Marius!

Johan
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
Ma
Maxie

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:11 am

Hi, This has happened to me on two occasions, luckily while my Pajero was idling in my drive. On both occasions I used parts purchased from Midas and on each occasion they burst spewing oil over my drive. I purchased the last replacement from Diesel Electric and this has been perfect.I don't actually carry a spare but a 1/8bsp blanking plug and if a problem arises I can take out the switch and insert the blanking plug.
Regards
Maxie
Ja
Jakes

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Is this problem a comon problem on the Gen3 only or does the Gen4 also have this problem ?
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 pm

fouche wrote:......... About the switch, a small bugger that cost R80 at dealers, that can leave you stranded between nowhere and somewhere.
It's now gone up to R 180-00 courtesy of Imperial.

Ended up only buying one. Will fill the old one with epoxy and keep it in the toolbox as emergency spare.
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
eldirko
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Montero 3.0 V6 GLS LWB 2006

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi everyone,
Always reading what you guys talk about and learn a lot, Thanks for that!
Here in Bolivia I had the same problem with a 4M40 engine (2,8 TD)on my 1999 Montero. In the middle of nowhere not funny, oil coming out like water. I had to move on because no help, filling up every 15 minutes, luckely I had liters of oil in the back and could buy some on the way to find a town to buy a new oil pressure switch. Oil level light never came on.
Since that time yes , always a spare one in the car, here has a cost of 3 U$ dollar, it is Korean I guess but it fits the hole.
Don't give it too much torque, it's a conus and can brake.
Dirko
to
tonton

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Jakes wrote:Is this problem a comon problem on the Gen3 only or does the Gen4 also have this problem ?
Anybody that can shed some light on the Gen 4 and this problem?

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register