S. African Pajero "Shogun" or how to spot a rear diff lock

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
Fo
Forest Fab

S. African Pajero "Shogun" or how to spot a rear diff lock

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:58 am

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the South African spec Pajero "Shogun" (not the UK Shogun) that appear every now and then on the second hand market, but that seem much more scarce than the standard Pajeros. I couldn't find any specific information about those either on the forum or even Google...

First, the SWB Shoguns seem to be the only ones with the 3.5 V6, it looks like the normal SWB were only fitted with the 3.0l. Is this correct?

Second, the adjustable shock absorbers, with the Soft/Medium/Hard display in the middle of the rev counter. Were those only fitted on the Shoguns?

Third, were all Shoguns fitted with a rear diff lock?
And were ONLY the Shoguns fitted with a rear diff lock?

And, lastly, besides having a look under the car or spotting the switch next to the cigarette lighter, would it be correct to say that a Pajero has a rear diff lock IF it's got the adjustable suspension?
So in other words, do only the Shoguns have rear diff lock and adjustable suspension, or are there other models fitted with either or both?

Thanks a lot for your insight.
Fab.

ps: I'm talking about Gen 2 and 2.5s here

Gerrit Loubser
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero Gen 3 DiD LWB A/T

Re: S. African Pajero "Shogun" or how to spot a rear diff lo

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:40 pm

I don't know enough about the topic, but I'll have a go at some of the questions at least. As far as I know, the Shogun is a UK spec Pajero. Some of them were imported to SA via official channels and some probably made their way here as grey or personal imports, but the Shogun remains a UK spec car.
Forest Fab wrote:First, the SWB Shoguns seem to be the only ones with the 3.5 V6, it looks like the normal SWB were only fitted with the 3.0l. Is this correct?
No, the Gen 2.5 (Blister Fender) SWB was available with the 3.5 SOHC V6 motor and without Shogun badging. This motor is not the same as the one that was used in the LWB, which had the DOHC version (more complicated and not really much more potent)
Forest Fab wrote:And were ONLY the Shoguns fitted with a rear diff lock?
No, the Gen 2.5 (Blister Fender) models were all fitted with a rear diff lock.
Gerrit Loubser Image

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX TD

2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T Gone & missed :-(

1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T: Gone & missed :-(

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T: SOLD
Fo
Forest Fab

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Thank you for your contribution.

The research I did told me the same. Shogun is the commercial name in the UK, as Montero is in Spain and latin american countries.
But because they are called Pajeros here in SA, and because I've seen a few Pajero "Shogun" here that all had adjustable suspension and rear diff lock (talking about Gen 2 here) or the 3.5 V6 for the SWB, I was under the impression that there had been limited edition Pajeros in SA, badged Shogun.

But if I look at this one, it confirms what you say about them being imported from the UK, since the mileage is in mi and not in km: here
Nevertheless this one Gen 2 SWB does have the DOHC 24 valve 3.5V6! (as far as I can see on the picture, unless the SOHC also had 24 valves?)
At the back of the Gen 2 user's manual, there is definitely mention of only a 3.0 V6 SWB.

Good to know about the blister fenders being fitted with rear diff lock, I didn't know that!
But again, I should have been more specific in my first message and say that I was only talking about Gen 2s in all my assumptions.

OK so now we're making a bit of progress, and that leads me to another question: What about the S.A. Gen 2 Pajeros fitted with adjustable suspension and rear diff lock? Was this an option? A limited edition? Is there any consistent way of identifying them?
For example this one doesn't have the Shogun badge, but has adjustable suspension (so I assume it's also got the rear diff lock, but I can be wrong).

Thanks again for your help.
Fab.
Gerrit Loubser
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero Gen 3 DiD LWB A/T

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Forest Fab wrote:Nevertheless this one Gen 2 SWB does have the DOHC 24 valve 3.5V6! (as far as I can see on the picture, unless the SOHC also had 24 valves?)
The SOHC 3.5 is also a 24 valve motor, but I agree, that one looks like it says DOHC down the side. That is entirely possible, as it is a Shogun. The SA spec Gen 2 SWB 3.5 (i.e. the ones distributed by Samcor) had the SOHC motors, though.

Forest Fab wrote:At the back of the Gen 2 user's manual, there is definitely mention of only a 3.0 V6 SWB.
. This might be because the 3.5 SWB was only launched later than the publishing date of the manual in question?

Forest Fab wrote:What about the S.A. Gen 2 Pajeros fitted with adjustable suspension and rear diff lock? Was this an option? A limited edition?
As far as I am aware the adjustable suspension was never part of the SA spec gen 2/2.5s.

Forest Fab wrote:For example this one doesn't have the Shogun badge, but has adjustable suspension (so I assume it's also got the rear diff lock, but I can be wrong).
That vehicle looks like a grey import to me. I say this because of the following:
* Shiny grille (SA spec had black grille)
* Chrome rear bumper (SA spec had grey)
* Working high level tail lamps
* No tail lamps in the bumper (required for SA homologation)
* No scoop in bonnet over intercooler? Very strange, that...
Gerrit Loubser Image

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX TD

2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T Gone & missed :-(

1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T: Gone & missed :-(

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T: SOLD
Fo
Forest Fab

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Re. the 3.5 V6 SWB, in your first post you stated that the Gen 2.5 were fitted with this motor. Maybe this is the answer to my remark about the user's manual. Except for the UK Shogun, maybe the 3.5 was only introduced on the blister fenders in SA...

Re. adjustable suspension, I think you're right. All the ones I've seen with it were Shoguns (so from the UK), or on that LWB I put a link to, but that you figured was also a grey import (well done by the way, you've got a good eye!)

Thanks a lot for your participation, I really appreciate it and it's starting to make sense now (surely all of them are grey imports!)

If anyone else has some knowledge about the matter, please join in 8-)
An
André Haycock

Re: S. African Pajero "Shogun" or how to spot a rear diff lock

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

Hi all

Also bought Pajero 3.2 3 door 2002, need help to remove tail light in chrome to change globes. Every hints please.
Thanks Andre'

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register