Brandstof verbruik van Pajero`s

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: Brandstof verbruik van Pajero`s

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:32 am

Noted Minora!

Roelf_le_Roux

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Even a 184kw 3.8V6 can be frugal
peterpot

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:39 pm

I do not know the 3.8 petrol motors as well as I do the diesels which I love. But 11.8 L/100 km is still only about 8 km / L which I suppose for that size petrol motor is probably good.

So you say the say 16.6 km/l indicated for the 3.2DID is not realistic because it was over a too short a period. Would you then say one would have to get that consistantly for say 50 or 100 km to be realistic?

Anyone want to place a bet?
Roelf_le_Roux

Re: RE: Re: Brandstof verbruik van Pajero`s

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Roelf_le_Roux wrote:It is true, but not representative. The graph shows a very short time span.
"Representative" would be a realistic test - you decide. A 50km downhill run will not be representative
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:35 am

Look at my Fuely in my footnote(if you view on web, not tapptalk or any other app) and you will see why I am not commenting. This is mostly stop/start town and open road towing and loaded with roofrack etc.

So - Cant be true. I have driven these diesels for many a year and that type of usage that Peterpot is flaunting is just not consistent.

Mine is on the high side due to its usage, but Peterpot's is far too much on the low side I am sorry to say.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
peterpot

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:57 am

Ok so that sounds like two bets that it cannot be done? And yes Roelf I agree it has to be realistic. I am not trying to pull the wool over any ones eyes here, I am actually just trying to prove a point here with these motors.

I have been convinced that we can get more out of the Gen4-1's than what we do (ie performance & economy). When we got our Gen4-1 in Dec 2015 and while fairly loaded without trailer, the wife and I could get 10km/l or 10.5km/l at best. I was not happy!

Last weekend I was travelling to Weesgerus with the loaded offroad trailer hooked up. I was daudling along waiting for my son to catch up who was about 30 minutes behind. I reset the fuel consumption and to my surprise I was getting 10.5 km/l !!!!! Granted I was only doing about 80km/h but every vehicle has its "sweet spot".

I had to go and collect something near the airport on Weds. So the tank is on a quarter and I challenged myself to get there and back without a refuel. Now my quarter tank is proportionately small. So as I got onto the freeway and reset the km/l to help me find the "sweet spot" without towing. Now I have an ARB and raised OME suspension, so I am also wondering what the wind resistance factor / difference would be. I see a truck with a container travelling at a consistant 90km/h and decide to sit behind him with an eye on km/l. All the way to the airport at 90 km/h travelling behind a truck I get 12.5km/l.

So I collect the goods and now travel return direction at 90 km/h again but without a truck in front. Reset the km/l and wow the km/l immediately goes to 16.5 km/l and better. Now I am not saying that you can drive like this every day as the driving style took considerable effort and concentration. With an eye on the meter, the slightest extra pressure on the gas had an immediate negative effect on the km/l - but it appears to me that it is achievable. Coming past Irene dam, going downhill, it went to 18 km/l and more. As said I believe there is much room for improvement here with these motors. By the time I had reverse parked the vehicle for the wife to leave in the morning it was down to 15.5 km/l.

Oh and yes the fuel light came on just before I got home. My wife had become curious as the phone had not "beeped" for the refuel transaction, yet I was back home. She could not believe the read out and even she thought I was pulling her leg.
plouw
Vehicle: SWB Pajero 3.2 DiD 2008

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:57 pm

@peterpot, is your fuel consumption not perhaps set on manual instead of automatic?
peterpot

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:48 am

While we were on holiday at Christmas we did compare actual to indicated. We actually achieved a little bit better than indicated (say 10.5km/l actual vs 10.0km indicated. I will however check this evening.
Em
Emile

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Good evening,

I'm the fairly new owner of a 2009 pajero sport with a fitted a frontrunner roofrack. although I don't have a very heavy foot, i only get about 14-15 l/km on average. Is this standard and is there anything I can do to improve the consumption?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emile
peterpot

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:42 am

Emile, which motor 2.5 or 3.2 DID?

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register