3.2 did burnt piston

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
Lock
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 2002

Re: 3.2 did burnt piston

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Had the same problem and believe Cats advice is excellent. Casper sheds some additional information that I haven't heard before. I had serviced projectors, then new injectors, serviced and recalibrated injector pump, 5 new pistons. On the fourth failure I sold my Pajero as is. :( Yet to hear of a successful rebuild. None of mine lasted more than 20 000 km and the last one died after 4 000.

Based on this I now always recommend a Lexus V8 conversion. It would have cost me a 15% of what I eventual spent and lost.
If you can feel the grass between your toe's, your flying too low!
3.5 GLS F/LIF 1998 Lost to the x wife
3200 Tdi GSL 2001 Written off
3200 Di-D 5Dr A/T 2002 338 000 Sold
3500i A/T 5Dr 2001 Sold
3.2 Di-Dc GLS A/T 2008
jethro
Vehicle: Pajero 3.5l V6, 1996 Model

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi

To be quite honest with you I am using a V6 3.5lt Petrol engine, I wouldnt quite know.
Mine was done engine overhaul but I have done +18,000 km and still I dont have a problem.
Like I pointed out, I would not say much on diesel engine as I am not familiar with.

But generally an engine, once overhauled is just as good as new (possibly +90%), may
what needs to be done is to identify the cause, rather than just replacing the damaged parts.

On the other hand, dont you think it would be much cheaper to replace the engine once and for all?

Coz from the look of things you are running a double expense without any benefit at all.

just my opinion
Wildcoast
Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2Did

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm

CasperA wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:35 pm
Hi. Had the same problem. Check at the rear of the fuel pump where the return pipe to the tank is connected. You will see the pipe is pushed over what looks like a banjo bolt. That banjo is actually a valve that if blown by air should open at around 2 bar. Mine was stuck. Cost a hell of a lot to find out what was the cause. I came a across 3 others that did the same. Good luck
Hi Casper. Thanks for your reply. Just what I was hoping for - someone who has had a similar experience so I know exactly what to look for. Unfortunately I can't check this for myself because the vehicle is in a workshop 300 km away from where I am, but I'll pass this useful advice on to the techies involved. Thanks a lot.
Wildcoast

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Lock wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:56 am
Hi Had the same problem and believe Cats advice is excellent. Casper sheds some additional information that I haven't heard before. I had serviced projectors, then new injectors, serviced and recalibrated injector pump, 5 new pistons. On the fourth failure I sold my Pajero as is. :( Yet to hear of a successful rebuild. None of mine lasted more than 20 000 km and the last one died after 4 000.

Based on this I now always recommend a Lexus V8 conversion. It would have cost me a 15% of what I eventual spent and lost.
Hi Lock. Thanks for your reply. I'm getting to the same point as you and am wondering if I shouldn't just have the engine repaired and offload the vehicle. I've already spent around R45,000 on repairs and now probably another who knows how much on the next repair. The difficulty is that without finding a definite cause of the recurring problem, how many more times can it happen?
Wildcoast

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

trekker1 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:59 pm
Are you able to post pics of the piston with it's damaged area from different angles. My immediate reaction was a damaged/dirty injector, but 3 times on the same cylinder with new injectors. Are you sure the injectors were replaced ?
Hi Dave. Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I don't have access to the workshop where the piston job was done to get photos of the piston - it's a few hundred kms away! It's probably been recycled by now anyway.
I'm pretty sure the injectors were replaced. The workshop where it was done is a reputable one with an excellent mechanic.
I agree - failure after only about 2000 km is unbelievable. I've copied all of the useful suggestions by our fellow Pajero Forum members into one document which I'm going to send to the workshop to hopefully give them something to think about and work on for the next repair.
Hold thumbs!!

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”