Gen3 3.2 Di-d remapping of ecu

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
Sweis
Vehicle: 2004 Gen 3 3.2 Di-d swb

Gen3 3.2 Di-d remapping of ecu

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi guys,

I recently joined and bought a 04 gen3 3.2 Di-d swb. I work in the USA and have not even driven the car and my gf at home is loving it. I will be home in two weeks and will have my first drive from the airport in it...lol.

My sole purpose of buying it was to tow my caravan, i had a ranger prior to the pajero but it was just to big for my gf as a 2nd vehicle when im not at home. It is a sprite storm and only weighs about 750kg. This group has so much info and i have been reading alot.

So my question is. Is it worth it to take the vehicle in for a dyno and re-mapping the ecu? I mailed a guy, that from his website, i suppose know the pajeros very well and he says he could add another 25 odd kw and about another 100Nm if everything is great.

I am going over van reenens pass with the caravan in december and every bit will help lol.

Thanks for all the great info on here. It is an amazing source of reading material for me. Cant wait to drive my car....

Thanks
CasperA
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero LWB 3.2 Did

Re: Gen3 3.2 Di-d remapping of ecu

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi. I did mine at Mitsitech. Worth every cent!
Johanma
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:49 am

I have a 2013 SWB (140kw / 441Nm) towing a Gypsey Regal and I cerainly do not need extra power or torque for towing over Van Reenen.
Sweis

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:17 pm

CasperA thanks for that.....earning $ i think i will have it done. Never know where i will go next with the caravan.

Johanma the 2013 swb has much more power than my 2004 model and your regal weighs quite a bit more than my storm. That confirms that it will be money well spend. When you tow your regal do you tow in automatic or manual? I have done some reading here and from what i undsrstand once i reach the mountains i should go into manual and tow in 4th? I have always towed with a manual shift so this will be new to me. Also i have not driven my car yet so i have no idea how much power it has.

Thanks
peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:38 pm

A Gen 3 SWB towing a 750 kg caravan!
As long as the Gen 3 motor is in a good condition it will tow it with ease. I had a Gen 3 and it was a pleasure to tow with. I would not bother to remap. There is always a question of messing with that fantastic reliability and as mentioned it will go like a train. Try it first then decide.

I would however fit an EGT gauge and block off the EGR if not done already.
Sweis

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks Peterpot, the vehicle has 203 000km on the clock with full service history till now. As far as i know it only has a spacer lift done and has the 17" wheels on, if the egr has been removed i dont know. Friends of ours drive the exact model and when we baught it my gf took it to them to make sure all is good. He took it for a test drive and said it drives better than his own vehicle :D :D :D

Can you also give me some info on the towing part of my question please, since you towed with a gen3....thanks

We are going away for a 2 night stay with the caravan to Villiers just after i get home, so will follow your advice on that part.

I did my research on the EGT guage, fortunately i was in time to order one on ebay with a probe.

Thanks
peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 am

I used to tow my sons race car on a trailer and he the camping rig (about the same kgs) with a V6 Colt. On the hills he simply got left behind. That vehicle was simply amazing. Sold it at 260k km and it is still going well no problems. Brilliant torque for towing and good fuel economy.

I removed the EGR pipe at the point where it fits onto the exhaust manifold, I then simply made a plate to match with a nut welded onto it to match the thread of the EGT. Other guys drill and tap into the manifold itself. Made another plate to blank off the EGR itself.

I am not sure what question you had on towing. I towed in drive and would let the transmission select as normal. If it was excessively hilly / up & down, I might have put it across to select and keep it in a specific gear. Otherwise it was as in normal use.

Check that the top timing chain guide has been replaced. It is simply a case of valve cover off 2 x bolts and fit new top guide. This is critical on Gen 3. Also check that the transmission oil has been replaced.
Greg
Vehicle: 2002 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB, 1992 Pajero SWB

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:05 am

I strongly suggest no enhancements to the engine at all, as this engine will not know that it has a caravan behind it. First, drive your new beast, and decide after.
I do suggest driving this vehicle in all wheel drive, and not 2x4, especially when towing. The wear on the drivetrain is minimal, but the improved stability in handling is significant.
Lead, follow, or get out of my way.
Sweis

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks for the response guys, it helps alot. The egt guage i baught can actually do a few functions and not just egt, it can do turbo boost pressure, oil and water temp, gearbox temp and a few other. For now i will just get the egt done also through the blank-off where the EGR pipe will be removed. All the other functions will need respective sensors etc.

Regarding the towing you answered my question. Wasnt sure if i stay in auto all the time. Once i get to the mountains i will asess and see if i need to shift to manual and have it in a cumfortable gear.

The best thing i could have done was to join this club. There is so much info available. I will have a thorough once over before i hookup my caravan for sure.

BenjieMan
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Montero DI-D 3.2 2002

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:52 pm

Can Gen 3 be re-mapped? I have a Montero/Pajero DI-D 3.2 2002

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”