Gen 3 3.2 struggle to start

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
Sw
Sweis

Gen 3 3.2 struggle to start

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:01 am

Hi guys, so i arrived yesterday back from USA and drove my beast for the first time. I purchased it while i was there and my gf has been driving it now and again. I also posted about the re-mapping of the ecu and now that i drove it, doubt if that has to be done. I have an issue though starting. When i start it the engine takes abot 2 or 3 seconds before it start. I then checked the diesel filter. When i push the pump at the top i noticed i had to give it a few pushes before it was hard. So that means my filter isnt full. When the engine runs and i switch it off and try to start it again it does exactly the same. Where do i start searching?

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: Gen 3 3.2 struggle to start

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:21 am

You must keep in mind how the Gen3 fuel system works. There is no pressure pump at the fuel tank. The pump mounted on the engine draws the fuel up out of the fuel tank, through the fuel filters and then into the fuel pump. That is to say then that the fuel in the filter is under a vacuum when the engine is running. If you now operate the hand pump on the filter you create a pressure and is for the purpose of purging air from the system after replacing the fuel filter. I have found the fuel filters definitely effect performance when dirty so I would start off there. I would also check the glow plugs. '

There are more complex issues but only go there if you have no joy here with the above. Where are you based?
je
jethro

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Mine is a 3500 V6 and it does exactly that. But I don't find it a problem as I am used to that. You just give
it a few second after turning on the Ignition and then crank. It starts very well. It also has a pump in
the tank.

Otherwise I personally thought these cars are like that.
ke
kenjay02

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 am

Kindly add me to the WhatsApp group. 0724524360.

Thank you

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register