Original Tow Hook assembly on 2007 3.2 GLS

Need some advise of a general nature not covered in the forums below? Here's where to do it.
OBELIX123
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2 DI-D GLS 2011

Original Tow Hook assembly on 2007 3.2 GLS

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 am

Prior to the current LWB I had a SWB and the adjustable tow hook systems are different for both.
The system on the SWB was much larger (i.e the square tube holding the slide- out ball assembly was larger in diameter).
The one in the LWB is smaller in diameter and I can only adjust the length of the ball assembly by two holes.
My question to the wise men is:
If I extend the tow hook fully - i.e. by two holes - do I diminish the towing capacity ??? My Conqueror has a GVM of 1.500kg.
I have to extend the tow hook assembly because the sparewheel is in the way when dropping the trailer coupling onto the ball....

OBELIX123

Re: Original Tow Hook assembly on 2007 3.2 GLS

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi Guys
With regard to my enquiry re Difficulties in hitching an off - road camping trailer to my 3.2 LWB GLS 2007 I have meanwhile read quite a few solutions for the problem.
The reluctance of Mitsu and their dealership as well as other towbar suppliers/fitters to really come to the party is astonishing.
As it turns out that my towbar is fromDUYS and reading the data plate on the unit it is designed for 1.500kg max only although the unit underneath looks really professional and strong (fitted onto a Square tube -crossmenmber.
In summary, although this DUYS arrangement looks like the Bosal original, i.e one square tube pipe with the ball assembly pushed into a slightly larger square tube and fixed into position via two holes , i.e. one hole with a 10mm blolt and Nylock nut and the other hole for a piece of solid round material pushed through and secured with a sort of a split pin on the other side.

I phoned Bosal because they have a nearly identical assembly and I was told by the Technical manager that the design does not allow any extension of the length by pulling the inner tube out of the outer tube and only using one hole for security.
This design incorporated a REMOVAL POSSIBILITY, so that a new ball aasembly could be put in.
I also thought that a lengthening of the arm by pulling it out some more would reduce the towed weight by a large margin and the side movement of the extra long arm would result in metal fatigue and final tow bar failure.
Now I am sitting with 2 scenarios.
1. Someone could replace the inner sqare tube with a longer piece, so that I could use the original holes (1 for the bolt and the other one for the round bar and split pin thus having adequate support for the 50mm extension.
However, nobody will touch this work and accept responsibility for possible consequences.
2. I need to fit the much publicised SPARE WHEEL mounting plate which shifts the spare wheel some way up and as a result allows proper and easy coupling of the trailer to the Pajero..
I explained the whole hing in more detail because a newcomer to this problem might find it easier to understand and be warned before buying a Gen 4 Pajero with a towhitch already attached (The Gen 3 Pajero did not have this problem because the spare wheel was mounted OFF CENTRE and thus did not interfere with hitching a trailer,

My Question to the forum is very simple: WHERE CAN I PURCHASE SUCH A SPAREZHEEL BRACKET
OBELIX123

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Guys
With regard to my enquiry re Difficulties in hitching an off - road camping trailer to my 3.2 LWB GLS 2007 I have meanwhile read quite a few solutions for the problem.
The reluctance of Mitsu and their dealership as well as other towbar suppliers/fitters to really come to the party is astonishing.
As it turns out that my towbar is fromDUYS and reading the data plate on the unit it is designed for 1.500kg max only although the unit underneath looks really professional and strong (fitted onto a Square tube -crossmenmber.
In summary, although this DUYS arrangement looks like the Bosal original, i.e one square tube pipe with the ball assembly pushed into a slightly larger square tube and fixed into position via two holes , i.e. one hole with a 10mm blolt and Nylock nut and the other hole for a piece of solid round material pushed through and secured with a sort of a split pin on the other side.

I phoned Bosal because they have a nearly identical assembly and I was told by the Technical manager that the design does not allow any extension of the length by pulling the inner tube out of the outer tube and only using one hole for security.
This design incorporated a REMOVAL POSSIBILITY, so that a new ball aasembly could be put in.
I also thought that a lengthening of the arm by pulling it out some more would reduce the towed weight by a large margin and the side movement of the extra long arm would result in metal fatigue and final tow bar failure.
Now I am sitting with 2 scenarios.
1. Someone could replace the inner sqare tube with a longer piece, so that I could use the original holes (1 for the bolt and the other one for the round bar and split pin thus having adequate support for the 50mm extension.
However, nobody will touch this work and accept responsibility for possible consequences.
2. I need to fit the much publicised SPARE WHEEL mounting plate which shifts the spare wheel some way up and as a result allows proper and easy coupling of the trailer to the Pajero..
I explained the whole hing in more detail because a newcomer to this problem might find it easier to understand and be warned before buying a Gen 4 Pajero with a towhitch already attached (The Gen 3 Pajero did not have this problem because the spare wheel was mounted OFF CENTRE and thus did not interfere with hitching a trailer,

My Question to the forum is very simple: WHERE CAN I PURCHASE SUCH A SPARE WHEEL BRACKET
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm

You can buy it from Uys at Stofpad4x4

http://www.stofpad4x4.co.za/product/fc0 ... ate--40mm-
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
OBELIX123

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks a ton, Kurt
ill order straight away.
OBELIX123

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:55 pm

The STOFPAD 4x4 website is very interesting, so I am going to collect my spare wheel plate myself tomorrow to have a closer look
Thanks again, Kurt, for the info.
The plate is most probably overpriced but if one wants to solve a problem one needs to take what is available for that particular problem.
OBELIX123

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 pm

I have fitted the spare wheel lifting plate from STOFPAD and my problems with hitching my trailer are a thing of the past. Now I can even set the ball in the higher position , so my trailer is really horizontal.
Works like a charm.......Thanks Kurt for the tip....
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Absolute pleasure, glad you came right
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:50 pm

I will take a bit of praise here for myself as I showed Uys at Stofpad what I wanted and we worked together to make the final sparewheel lifter after 1 test unit and some changes to the final product. Glad he is still making some money out of the R&D and effort that he put into the making of a product which was unobtainable at the time in South Africa. It is my car on his website with the lifter fitted.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
OBELIX123

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:40 am

Cats, I trust Uys is sharing some of the profits with you for your R&D input ????

Return to “General Pajero Discussion”

Login · Register