Swaziland shortcut??

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
ko
koosman

Swaziland shortcut??

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 am

I am probably not posting in the right section, but here is my question anyway...

The missus and I are going to Xai Xai (Moz) in November. As we are travelling from Durbs it will be a shorter route to travel through Swaziland.

Generally speaking, are there any problems going this route (border crossings, road state etc.) or will it be more hassle free to enter Moz via Mpumalanga?

Thanks
Cobus

KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Re: Swaziland shortcut??

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am

Koosman

The Swazi "short cut" may be shorter in distance, but takes long. From the southern part of Kruger to Sheffield beach took us a day last year. We left Kruger just before 7 in the morning and got to Sheffield at around 6 in the eve.... a looong trip.

Why not enter through Kozi bay. Its a bit of a rough road (not recommended for trailers) but its about a four hour trip from Kozi to Maputo.
ko
koosman

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks KaiV

Been surfing the net and crossing the border at Kosi Bay seems the way to go. Any idea what condition the road is in as a few forums suggests that it is a sand track all the way to Maputo? Being an inexperienced 4x4 driver I'd probably drive around to Komatipoort as it's a tar road all the way.
KaiV

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Koosman

Well, there is one way to learn.... Go and do it ;) You'll learn soon enough and its fun.

I must be honest though, its not a track to get stuck or lost on. If you're on your own, dont do it....

As to what the track is like, well, all depends on rain and what the locals have done. Ive seen 4x4 truck using that track and they just go churning up the track behnd them. I did it many years ago and I did it in a 4x2 Colt. Got stuck once on a twisty uphill, but then again we were three vehicles.
RedCat
Vehicle: 2007 LWB GLX Gen4

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Hiya K-man,

While i haven't done the complete route from Kosi, i've worked in that area and drove from Maputo southwards. The road north of the ellie reserve is in good condition, i've seen an e-class merc flying along there! South of the reserve, my Moz colleagues reckon its 'no problem' and i know a few people that have done it, hassle-free!

People in that area are super friendly and helpful. Tip: if you go from Kozi, stop for lunch in Ponta, tell your story to the local restaurenteur there and take his number. If you get stuck, they'll definately make a plan to come help.

I've done the trip through Swaziland too. pretty easy going but be warned: speed limit changes every few kilometers, and there are random speed bumps on the main highway that are not well painted.

Driving around to komatie, there are tons of roadworks along the way with contraflows that make you sit for up to 45 minutes. I wouldn't even think of it. I guess you can see i'm leaning towards going through southern-most Moz. Especially for the adventure. If you haven't been through Moz before, DO NOT speed, cops are everywhere and they're sneaky as :evil: BIG holes around Xai Xai, especially for about 50/60 km north.

Go easy Koosman!

Redcat!
KaiV

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 pm

RedCat has a good point. I prefer Malongane and making friends along the way is always a good idea.

If you have your tire pressures right, and drive carefully, you should have no worries at all. Momentum is your friend and I would also recommend a GPS with T4A....

Re speeding is Swaziland. Yes, it does change randomly, though mostly around 80 Km/hr. And they trap all over. Insist on SA rands change if you do get caught. Its near impossible to change it back afterward and don't get stroppy with the cops.... They don't like it much.

Also, as RedCat says, the Komatie Rd is Horrid, terrible, bad, disgraceful and a few more adjectives come to mind. Its a pain and a half to travel that....
ko
koosman

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info guys!

I've been google earth-ing the cr@p out of the track past Kosi and it looks like it can be an interesting 80kms.

Yes, I'm taking KaiV's advice and I'm going to "Go and do it".
to
tonton

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:55 pm

koosman wrote:Thanks for the info guys!

I've been google earth-ing the cr@p out of the track past Kosi and it looks like it can be an interesting 80kms.

Yes, I'm taking KaiV's advice and I'm going to "Go and do it".
Koosman,

I'd let the tyres down before hitting the sand - that way you reduce the odds of getting stuck significantly. That, along with momentum will take your car through most sand obstacles.

If alone, stick to the travelled tracks. I suggest you invest in a tow-rope, compressor and a spade along with the normal travel kit - you never know...

Most importantly - enjoy it!

Anton
ko
koosman

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am

Just some feedback....

I took the missus up to Punto D'Auro this past weekend to get a "feel" for sand driving. It is awesome!

We only got stuck twice but reversing a bit and trying again did the trick both times.

Really looking forward to drive the whole sand track to Maputo in November!

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register