Richtersveld Planned Trip In 2012

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
pa
paw_by_paw

Richtersveld Planned Trip In 2012

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi Guys,
Anyone familiar with the camping sites in and around the Richtersveld as we are planning the following:
Visit to and camp at Riemvasmaak Hot Springs,
Visit Fish River Canyon and camp,
Then off to Richtersveld for some seriuos off road camping.
I have a few questions though :?:
How possible is it to travel in the area with a off road caravan and what should I look out for except for the fact that most camping sites do not have water - drinking water.

What is the routes that should preferably be avoided with the caravan :?:
What should I be prepared for in terms of tyres and damages :?:
I would like to camp at the following sites:
Kokerboomkloof, De Hoop, Richtersberg, and Sendelingsdrift.
If time allows maybe another one.
Question :?:
Is traveling from one camp site to the next all off road and if how difficult :?:
What timeline should I allow for traveling between camp sites :?:
Any recent visits to this area by anyone with advice will help a lot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: Richtersveld Planned Trip In 2012

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Paw
Richtersveld is defiantely doable with off road caravan. Akkedis pass is probably the most dificult section but still doable. When I did my trip in April 2011 we could not camp at Richtersberg as it had reed cabins. I was advised by park officials that I would probably also not manage the steep sections and turns with the van hooked up, so I did not do that part, but camped at all the other campsites that you mention.
To me Richtersveld, Fish river and Namibia south as well as Riemvasmaak are all trips on their own and should not be combined into one, unless you really have a long timeframe available.
CATS
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 am

Chris

When you going? We'll be doing another trip there in April.

You shouldnt have any problems in the Richtersveld, and as CATS say Akkedis Pass will be perhaps the trickiest and I would not do the Richtersberg - De Hoop section along the river at all with anything attached to the back.
Simon Bloomer
li
littleman

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 am

As part of my 5 week trip I'll probably be in the richtersveld for a few days during the last week of April. Maybe we'll bump into each other if you are there during this time. I'm thinking of basing myself at 'de Hoop' camp site and moving around from there. I don't know how practical that is so anybody can give some better idea it will be much appreciated.
Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:43 am

The Richtersveld really isn't that big... so I wouldn't try to stay at every camp - rather stay at one or two places, and drive from there.

I would not recommend Sedelingsdrift - it does not feel like you are in the bush. Lots of mining in the area, etc. Pooitjiespram is also not that great - tall trees all around, with no view of the river.

I would stay the majority of the time at De Hoop or Richtersberg. You can camp on the edge of the river - magic! De Hoops has the most space. The "huts / chalets" near Richtersberg are called Tatasberg, but you can't camp there.

You should also include a night or 2 at Kokerboomkloof - it is really beautiful there, and totally different to the river areas.

With regards to 4x4 difficulty, I'd say it is really easy. I didn't tow anything over Akkadis Pass, but I kept waiting for the pass to start, and then realized it was already over! :)

The only tricky section for towing would be the river route between De Hoop and Richtersberg - I'd avoid that. Otherwise, it's just gravel / slightly sandy roads.

Cheers,
Greg
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
pa
paw_by_paw

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Guys,
Unfortunately I have December :twisted: only available and I know it is going to hot- veeery hot :!:
I am so gratefull for having this site and knew I would get possitive feedback.
I would love to spend some time at the rivers edge though.
Is there anyway you can get to a river camp without the difficulty already mentioned. :?:
Simon I have 19 days to do all that including 5 days for traveling and sleep overs and to go to the Big Hole as well.
So I assume 13 days will do it for everything I have planned unless somebody have a place for me to go see in Namibia then I will cut short some stay overs in Richters.
Thanks for all your responses thus far.
Regards
pa
paw_by_paw

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Sorry :D If I am not mistaken by the info at hand to get to Dehoops you have to negotiate Akkedispass :?:
If the pass is doable with a off road caravan I can spend at least a day or two at the river but Kokerboomkloof defenitely will do for at least two days or so.
Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi,

Yes, as far as I know, you have to do Akkadis Pass to get to De Hoop. But I wouldn't worry about it. There are no big steps on the trail. Have you taken you caravan off road before? Unfortunately I don't have any experience towing off road. With our 4x4 alone, I didn't have to use low range or anything. It was just in 4H. Didn't ever loose traction.

I would recommend 1 or 2 days at Kokerboomkloof, but I would spend most of the time at De Hoop. It really is great being at the river. Kokerboomkloof has great views / scenery... but in the heat of the day, it is nice to be at the river for a swim! :)

Cheers
Greg
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Just remember in January the temp regularly tops 50 degrees. You do not want to be too far from the river. You can use De Hoop as a a full time base.
pa
paw_by_paw

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks again guys,
just one other question for those in the know :?:
Is it possible to travel from the Sendelingsdrift to Luderitz on the road Witputz and Aus past Rosh Pinah, :?: I would assume it is a salt road :?: or a sand road or even a gravel road :?: On the map I have it shows as earth/tracks and a distace of 165 km. I do not have all the recovery equipment and do not want to get into trouble on that road. Any info :?:

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register