Richtersveld Planned Trip In 2012

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Re: Richtersveld Planned Trip In 2012

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 am

SimonB wrote:For those that will be in the Richtersveld March/April what are your itineraries? Ours is pretty much final except for the week in Southern Nam.

We will be staying at Sendelingsdrift on 26/03. From there on to de Hoop which will be our base from 27 to 31/03.

We hope to cross into Namibia on 01/04 at Sendelingsdrift from where we will slowly head through Southern Nam coming, back home through the Kgalagadi.

We might have a campsite or 2 open as some of the guys in our group might not be able to go, but I will let you know closer to the time.

Johan

Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:16 am

Johan. Are those sites at De Hoop which may become available? We might be interested

We've got two nights at Potjiespram while our group catches up with us. Then 3 at kokerboomkloof and 3 at Richtersberg
Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 am

For those of you that are planning to tow down to DeHoop be prepared for some excitement when going down a dry riverbed towards the campsite. It is not difficult but you need to watch your caravan's wheels all the time. Some rocks are so close that your tyres touch rocks on both sides simultaniously. Specially where there are also tight corners. With standard hight suspension on the car scraping can also happen if you are not carefull. Akkedis pas as Greg said is no challenge at all.
Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
LowRange

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:15 pm

SimonB wrote:Johan. Are those sites at De Hoop which may become available? We might be interested

We've got two nights at Potjiespram while our group catches up with us. Then 3 at kokerboomkloof and 3 at Richtersberg

Yip, will let you know as soon as we are sorted. The Gauteng School Holidays being shortened to only one week late last year is a bit of a "spanner in the works" for this trip. :evil:
Johan
pa
paw_by_paw

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Well our planned trip took somewhat of a turn as we decided the 50 degrees temp in Dec will be a bit of a problem but this is what we are planning now:
Secunda to Kuruman- does anyone now DIE MAS campsite :?:
Kuruman to Kakamas see a bit of the area there and move on to TIETIESBAAI- problem is it is quite a stretch around 780 km and I am looking for a sleep over there about halfway :?: Anyone with suggestions
From TIETIESBAAI to Cederberg Wilderness Park or Nuwerust Park :?: Anyone knows this place :?:
From Cederberg to Tankwa
From Tankwa to to Sutherland We will stay on a farm with ablutions etc but no power. Will use my gennie maar .
From Sutherland to Karoo National Park
From here to Graaf Reinett
From Graaf Reinett to to Maselspoort in Bloem and back home
A round trip of +- 4500 km with some off road driving and look arounds.
Any suggestions of other places to stay will be appreciated.
I also saw a place called Batteleur Camp outside Kuruman and looks quite nice on the website - If that can be trusted :roll:
Regards
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Paw,

Most probably a wise move. Lovely trip you are planning, enjoy.

Back to Simon's question about members passing through the Richtersveld March/April:

We plan to zip along the western edge of the Richtersveld from Porth Nolloth to Luderitz, via Sendelings Drift. This will be on the last day of the Easter weekend (I think). Will have the wife's sister and her hubby onboard (which is my official excuse for trading the SWB for the LWB :lol: ). Our furthest north will be Spitzkoppe and then back via Mariental and Mata-Mata through the Galagadi TFP.

Should be recognised by the odd coloured (red) Pajero, a roofrack with a tyre and a jerrycan on it and a 6' trailer in tow. Most of the boot will be taken up by the 70L Zero (with hopefully not too much meat in it).
LowRange

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
SimonB wrote:Johan. Are those sites at De Hoop which may become available? We might be interested

Yip, will let you know as soon as we are sorted. The Gauteng School Holidays being shortened to only one week late last year is a bit of a "spanner in the works" for this trip. :evil:
Simon, it looks like we will all only be doing the Kgalagadi part of this trip. :evil:

I will PM you the Richtersveld booking to see if you want to use any of it.

Johan
Johan
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Johan

Thanks, much appreciated
Simon Bloomer
Gr
Gryskoos

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:13 pm

paw_by_paw wrote:Well our planned trip took somewhat of a turn as we decided the 50 degrees temp in Dec will be a bit of a problem but this is what we are planning now:
Secunda to Kuruman- does anyone now DIE MAS campsite :?:
Kuruman to Kakamas see a bit of the area there and move on to
From Graaf Reinett to to Maselspoort in Bloem and back home
A round trip of +- 4500 km with some off road driving and look arounds.
Any suggestions of other places to stay will be appreciated.
I also saw a place called Batteleur Camp outside Kuruman and looks quite nice on the website - If that can be trusted :roll:
Regards
Hi paw paw.

I might give you some tips as I was in the Kuruman/augrabies/riemvasmaak area two weeks ago.

Firstly keep in mind I have no idea what kind of trips you prefer. Roughnecking it out with a varkpan and baked beans on toast or styling it out in lodges and B&B's. I am more of the first.

So here goes.
1.) In Keimoes just opposite the water wheel is the towns information office. Stop there and talk to the two nice very helpful ladies working there while you have a cup of tea. They really do have updated info on the whole area.
2.)At Kakamas we stayed at Khamkirri. We made this lovely campsite our base camp for 3 nights and explored the whole area. Google khamkirri. I will chose this place above any of the big name camp sites in that area.
3.) If you stay over in Kakamas set a day aside and do yourself a favor and do the Kakamas , Augrabies(falls plus the viewpoints), Blouputs, Riemvasmaak, Kakamas loop. You can thank me in beers later. We did this loop and I planned that we arrive at the Riemvasmaak hot springs late afternoon. Its then lekker cool in the canyon and the dip in the hot pools were refreshing. Khamkirri is only a short 30km hop away down a good gravel road. Riemvasmaak also have 3 kwaai 4x4 trails which we sadly did not do (yet).
4.) If you are the exploring type who never say no to a gravel road. Ditch the tar and cross the Orange at Upington or Kanoneiland and follow the gravel road on the other side of the river all the way to Kakamas. (you can hop back and forth at Keimoes to do point 1 above.)
5.) We only drove past Die mas campsite just before Kakamas. Did not pop in. Its on a wine farm.
6.) Speaking of wine. Go and sample at the Orange river wine cellar in Kakamas.
7.) Between Kakamas and Kuruman you will have to turn off the N14 if you want to have fun. To many to name here.

Feel free to ask more questions.
:mrgreen:
pa
paw_by_paw

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks Gryskoos,
My plan is to sleep three nights at Augrabies from where we will be exploring the surrounds. My first thoughts three nights are too much but we planned the Riemvasmaak visit and the loop drive.
I will do a 4x4 route in the conservancy at least.

Unfortunately my booking is done at Vensterklip alrady otherwise I would have tanken your offer for Kakamas.

Neverless I will drive wherever I can off the tar to explore and will take some serious considderation about your suggestions. :mrgreen: Looking so much forward to it can not wait. :mrgreen:

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register