Botswana Trip: Nxai Pans, Moremi, Caprivi & Kasane

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Botswana Trip: Nxai Pans, Moremi, Caprivi & Kasane

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 pm

We've got the following trip planned in March:

Day 1: Khama Rhino Sactuary
Day 2: Khama Rhino Sactuary
Day 3: Nxai Pan - South Camp
Day 4: Nxai Pan - South Camp
Day 5: Moremi - Xakanaxa
Day 6: Moremi - Xakanaxa
Day 7: Moremi - 3rd Bridge
Day 8: Moremi - 3rd Bridge
Day 9: Maun - Island Safari Lodge
Day 10: Caprivi - Ngepi Camp
Day 11: Caprivi - Ngepi Camp
Day 12: Caprivi - Nambwa
Day 13: Caprivi - Nambwa
Day 14: Caprivi - Nambwa
Day 15: Kasane - Senyati Camp
Day 16: Kasane - Senyati Camp
Day 17: Woodlands Stopover - Francistown

Just wondering about the water level at 3rd bridge, considering all the rains their having this year...

And it seems with this set of destination, no jerrycans will be needed for the LWB diesel...? (will be filling up at Rakops before Nxai, and should get fuel ear Ngepi).

Any comments?

Karl

LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Re: Botswana Trip: Nxai Pans, Moremi, Caprivi & Kasane

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Looks good! 3 days would be better at Nxai though. We had excellent sightings there!

Enjoy!
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Wish we could, but we have a few first time campers with us and we were worried that they might not like it at a particular place - hence the mostly 2 days at a place.

In hindsight I would probably do only 1 night at Khama and 3 at Nxai.
Da
Davidvan

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:46 am

Looks like a good trip! If going to 3rd bridge, I hope you are not sleeping on the ground the hyenas were a real problem last we were there.... In a ground tent, el cheapo makro jobbie, and were sniffing around our tent and by our heads....grrrrr.

I have always been meaing to double check my diff and TC breathers, but with a lot of water crossings possible, may be good to check on the Gen4.

Cheers

David
an
andrew.ashton

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 am

Davidvan wrote:If going to 3rd bridge, I hope you are not sleeping on the ground the hyenas were a real problem last we were there...
David
We slept in a decent canvas ground tent - you just need to be alert when out of the tent from dusk onward. Especially if you have youngsters under about 50kg. Some foreigners on a neighbouring site got a huge skrik when they were eating dinner next to their hire camper and a hyena came round the vehicle. Also no food in tents and burn any waste including bones.

Enjoy.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for the useful info.

We will be sleeping on the ground in canvas tents.

Most worried about the water on the way though... Will be asking mitspro ti check the diffs and breathers this week.
Da
Davidvan

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Canvas will be ok, the nylon stuff just doesn't feel right...

They will be around your camp, so just be aware, have been a few incidents at 3rd bridge that I have read, so don't for instance sit with your back exposed where it makes an easy target.

As for the breathersI have to get mine checked as well, never checked my TC breather.

For deep water crossing, Bostoe from 4x4 community uses a wet towel he hangs in front of the bonnet, to create a better barrier. For the water and keep out of engine and air intake, which is great as long as you keep moving, also good to chuck on the floor to change a tyre, used mine for that a few times, just haven't had to use it for deep water yet, but the idea makes sense and could save a costly repair.

Cheers

David
an
andrew.ashton

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 am

Not sure what the grass seed will be like at that time of year - probably not too bad - but still best to take along and fit your seed net. I have heard say that that also helps your bow wave.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 am

Masker,

Please keep us posted on the Gen4 breather issues and mods.

You'll see I started a thread on "paint protection" in the appropriate section. I think it is as important as the correct tent and breather :o

Enjoy,
Roelf
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I will be taking the seed net along just in case, but have not had to use it in Moremi during April/May in the past...

Mitspro checked the breathers, and all fine. They seem to run up into something that can only be described as a cross member / strong bar of steel that sits at around the top of the wheel arch.

Keeping the level of the water under the wheel arches should be fine, if it goes over it (and you dont keep moving forward, it will probably get flooded.

Freek Jnr at Mitspro siad that they would be able to extent the tubes up into the engine bay (including the rear ones). I'm not sure this is neccessarily the best, since when you go really deep, the rear of the engine bay floods pretty quickly.

I'm thinking I'll just replace my diff oils again after I'm back?? Have brand new oil in it now, and total cost of replacing is like R350.
Karl

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register