Camping in Kgalagadi - Advice needed

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
hr
hroos

Camping in Kgalagadi - Advice needed

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:10 am

Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DID LWB. I have been looking at getting a second hand Pajero for the past year and finally my luck turned in December of last year.

On receiving it, the first thing I did was to book a trip to the Kgalagadi between 13 and 19 July 2014. This has been a life long dream of mine.

I have also been scouring this and the SAN Parks forum for advice and tips on how to plan this trip.

I have, so far, gathered the following information:

- The roads are very corrugated and tyres to be deflated to at most 1.5 bar
- Extreme night time temperature drop. May go as low as -11C. I have been advised to take an electric blanket.
- Trailers and spotlights not recommended because of rattles caused by corrugations.

The above two issues (extreme cold and rough roads) appear to be the biggest hazards in July.

Can anyone offer some additional advice on coping with these problems? Also, how will the Pajero cope with the low temperatures and the dust? Will I have difficulty starting it in the morning?

This will be my first trip, first Pajero and I am a pen pusher by profession so any help or advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks
Henk

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: Camping in Kgalagadi - Advice needed

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:45 am

I'd go even lower on the tyres. IIRC there is a sign at the Twee Rivieren fuel station actually promulgating 1.3

It is VERY cold that time of the year there. Sleep with a warm water bottle as you are gonna need that water to make coffee in the morning. All the other water is going to be frozen solid! :shock:

The car should be fine. Just wait for the amber diesel preheater lights to go out before swinging the motor. Maybe even cycle it twice to warm the diesel before swinging. It might smoke heavily on start up and it might feel extremely sluggish and powerless shortly after startup until the diesel warms up sufficiently. This is normal, just drive it sedately and it will return to normal. Also consider filling up closer to Kgalagadi as the diesel there might have some additives to aid in stopping the diesel from freezing and clogging unlike the diesel that comes from the Reef.If you have the GLS version of the Pajero make good use of the heated seats. They are absolute FANTASTIC in that scenario.

Every time I have been to Kgalagadi I have vowed that I will never return due to the extreme vehicle testing corrugations, but every time, once I get most of the dust out the vehicle and off my shoes, I start longing back. It is a harsh environment that somehow seems to creep in under your skin and find a resting place close to your hart without you realizing. - Enjoy!

CATS
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Bennvdm
Vehicle: 2001 Pajero 3.2 did Gls (SOLD), Looking for 3.8 BK

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi

With my 2001 did with ironman suspension and slightly bigger BFG tyres I went down to 0.9 bar eventually in a May 2013. The Ironman is a bit stiffer than standard, so effected a bit more by bad corrugations. The road between Mata Mata & Twee rivivieren was the worst. Drive slower where need & don't be afraid to deflate. Others was ok to me.

Maybe take some rubber strips & silicon with. I sticked some between the window and the dash to get rid of the worst sound with the rattles. Also be careful to what you put in the glovebox when driving such bad roards. Check the condition of your battery & rather replace if more than 2 years old. Likely to fail in harse temperatures if not in great condition & might spoil your trip or at least take jumper cables & an Ac charger.

You need caravan plug lead to get power from the camp sites& not all sites have power, so check before you set camp. Ps - the OBS was cheaper than the firewood when bought at the park shop, so we got both to keep us warm...

I see that you have a 2007- is that a gen4 or 3? Search for Roelfs thread on dash rattles if gen 4, as recommend extra dash supports in gen4 for bad corrugations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
an
andrew.ashton

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Yup, pretty much the worst corrugations I have ever driven on.

At those overnight temperatures I wouldn't risk only one battery if you are at sites with no AC power and you are running a fridge.

In fact, even if you aren't running a fridge I would seriously think about trickle charging overnight where you can.

Which camps will you be staying in?
hr
hroos

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:40 am

Hi all,

Gee whizz!!! What a great forum!!! I have been on here for two days and already received two replies with helpful information.

I have a generation 4 GLS so I am looking forward to trying out the seat warmers.

Roelf, if you happen to read this thread, please can you tell me who to speak to at Union Motors? It seems that I will have to get those dash rattles sorted out. Luckily I live in White River so I can also go to Union Motors in Nelspruit. They should be familiar with the problem.

We will be spending 4 nights at Twee Rivieren and 2 at Nossob. Being a newbie to the off road community, I didn't want to chance the "rougher" Botswana camps in the Kgalagadi just yet.

As far as I understand there is 24 hour electricity at TR so I will take a battery charger along. Just in case the cold damages the battery.

Thanks again.

Henk
an
andrew.ashton

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:01 pm

hroos wrote: We will be spending 4 nights at Twee Rivieren and 2 at Nossob. Being a newbie to the off road community, I didn't want to chance the "rougher" Botswana camps in the Kgalagadi just yet.

As far as I understand there is 24 hour electricity at TR so I will take a battery charger along. Just in case the cold damages the battery.

Henk
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, there is power at TR & Nossob.

You can also order very tasty fresh baked bread from the shop in Nossob - and don't forget to spend some time at the Nossob water hole - no driving required. Many people have had great sightings right there.

BTW, when we left Kgalagadi (via TR) we took a loop via Witsand Nature Reserve in the Posmasburg area - if you have the time it is a really beautiful place to spend a couple of nights camping. Especially if it is out of school holidays - then you have the place all to yourself. Witsand Nature Reserve

This is a link to our Kgalagadi photos from April 2013 so you can get excited about what is in store for you: Kgalagadi photos

Enjoy!
Wi
Wilhelm007

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:03 am

I would suggest you swap your trip around a bit. TR to me is not very nice. Rather spend more time in Nossob or MataMata. TR to me is just a place you stop when you can't reach the next place. I have only been there (and in the park) once so maybe I'm wrong.
What's your opinion?
St
Stofjakkals

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 am

Hi

I have been going there for many years in July and August. I only once forgot my GPS in the car and the next morning it would not work. It only started working at midday once it heated up a little. Do not be scared to go as low as possible on the tyre pressures. I also avoid TweeRiv and use it as an entry stop over and exit stop. Try and get a place at the Kalahari Tented camp. You will not regret it. Otherwise I never had any problems except for lots of dust in the car and some extra rattles afterwards.

I have done this trip in my D4-D Hilux, FJ and 8 times in the Pajero.

I am there again on the 16th of July until the 22nd - can't get enough of this beautiful place.
hr
hroos

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the additional info.

I have new changed the itinary to 2 nights TR, 2 nights MM and 2 nights N. From what I've read Nossob seems to be the best camp.

Any additional advice on coping with the severe cold and the extra dust?

Thanks
hr
hroos

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Andrew, those pictures are great!!! Thanks a mil

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register