Towing in 4H

Advice on the HOW of overlanding, camping and caravanning. Travel location is discussed elsewhere
Ar
Arnie

Towing in 4H

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 pm

for those who tow trailers or caravans, do you tow in 4H? i noted that my owners manual recommends this. I have not done so on the open road previously but it seems to make sense and as the book says, take some load of the rear diff. keen to hear views on this, specifically any risks. I am about to head out for a trip of a few thousand k's

Arnie

Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Re: Towing in 4H

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Yes definitely it makes sense to tow in 4H. I always do that . In fact I always drive in 4H even when not towing. Whilst you're driving on a straight road with not too severe corners you can even consider 4HLc. Especially on poor surfaces or in the wet. Just remember to take it out of lock before you try to corner or park. The only overhead you have in driving 4H compared to 2H is the front propshaft that has to rotate in sync with the road speed. That is insignificant. The front diff and sideshafts rotate in any case as the car rolls on. Remember you drive a 4X4. It is designed for this.
Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
Ar
Arnie

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:19 am

fantastic, thanks very much for the reassurance and the detail. makes perfect sense
HBannink
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: Pajero gen2 3l lwb

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 am

I would think twice before locking up on a hard surface. 4H Makes for good sense in that it gives much better handling and improves safety. The vehicle is designed for 4h on tar but not 4hlc that can cause problems and damage.
Henk Bannink

Some people are wise, some people are otherwise
pfgrobler
Vehicle: Mishubishie Pajero 3.2Di-d 2006 Auto GLX

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 pm

edit - posted in the wrong thread :)

Haven't towed in 4H in the past but seems to make sense, will do going forward
Ra
Ravensnest

Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I have the 1999 2.8TI LWB and in 4 H it does make an difference especially uphill ok I am only towing a 6 ft trailer but you don't feel it only on the fuel gages.
ph
philm

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 am

What about fuel consumption? Will it make a real difference? :shock:
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:27 am

I found on mine that it does affect fuel consumption, but very little so I use it when I feel the need, like on twisty roads or wet, slippery roads. The extra safety afforded with the 4 wheel traction far outway the extra fuel used. I do however feel that it takes away a bit of the power of the vehicle as it now has to drive a bit more metal pieces, so I tend to not drive in 4H continuously when towing, only when I feel the need as mentioned above. Of course on dirt roads I always engage 4 wheel drive and most often lock the center diff as well(ie 4HLc).

CATS
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)

Return to “Overlanding, Camping and Caravanning Advice”

Login · Register