Suggestions for new GPS

Radios, GPS etc
JohanV
Vehicle: Pajero '01 - 3.2Di-D - LWB

Suggestions for new GPS

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi All,

i am looking to get a new affordable alternative GPS to one i currently have, currently using a 200W with T4A SD card that i bought 3 years ago.

any suggestions?

What i am looking for is one to travel 90% tar road, city to city and in and around town and cities.

I would still want T4A on it or most likely a GPS that can accommodate a SD Card.

Rout planning and uploading from PC to GPS.

and possible one with a Bread crumb trail that show on the GPS where you have been currently that can be used to find your way home if you are exploring the bush.

anything out there i can have a look at currently?

4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: Suggestions for new GPS

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Johan,

Regardless of which GPS you choose, remember that the maps you load make the major difference.

I can't go without these maps (on my 'ancient' Garmin iQue 3600):
  • Streetmaps
  • Topo & recreation
  • T4A
Each has its own application, so I switch on/off as I need them.

Currently I would look at the Montana 650 (costly, but I tend to either wait until I can afford it, or stretch the budget to buy the current 'best').
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Johan

Your requirements count out most Nuvi's. I still like having a handheld unit because it is very versatile. Go with an Oregon or Montana IMO or even the 62 if you have the budget.
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm

V,

You can buy all the expensive GPS,s but all of them will provide you with the same info.

I am currently using a nuvi 2460LT and before that a Garmin 710. With the 710 we have been all over Southern Africa without problems. The nice thing about the 2460 is it's big screen. With the young age departing and the need to wear glasses, the big screen helps. We have also used it in the USA without any hassles.

Cloyd
gh
ghost_traffic

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Johan, I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 2300 from Makro at a special price of R999 (Milnerton only). They are now on special for R1299 at all Makro's.

I have City Navigator 2012 and Sub-Saharan Africa Streetmaps 2011.3 installed on the 2gb internal memory with the option of adding a T4A SD card.

I am in love with my new Nuvi 2300.

And SWAMBO gets my old Nuvi 200, so she's happy! :D

Nico.
JohanV
Vehicle: Pajero '01 - 3.2Di-D - LWB

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 am

I agree the Montana and Oregon are nice, and nice to have, but i will confess that its a little over kill for what i really need.

If i narrow it down i would say that having T4A compatible would suite my needs.

The bread crumbs and rout planning is also a nice to have. ( i usually travel with my laptop and do the planning on MapSource )

ghost_traffic wrote:
I am in love with my new Nuvi 2300.

And SWAMBO gets my old Nuvi 200, so she's happy! :D

Nico.
This sounds good, as my SWAMBO got a new job in Randfontein area, so she will be traveling 240km there and back and will most likely make trips into the JHB area.

My current nuvi still have 2008 Street maps and it already showed its limits with all the roads that have changed.

So i was thinking of buying the new GPS for SWAMBO as she will be using it more than me.

For that reason buying her an Oregon or Montana ..... eish i dont think so.

Thanks Nico, will look into the 2300, then maybe i can get my old 200 back :D , swambo gets a new one and everyone is happy.
Ge
GertM

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 am

JohanV wrote:
My current nuvi still have 2008 Street maps and it already showed its limits with all the roads that have changed.
Johan,
It seems you need a map upgrade, not a new GPS!
Anyway I have the Nuvi 760 with Topo and TA4A and it serves me very well. Its all about the maps, not the GPS. Unless of course you want a speciality one like Montana etc.
Family_Dog
Affiliate Member

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 pm

4ePajero wrote:Johan,

Regardless of which GPS you choose, remember that the maps you load make the major difference.

I can't go without these maps (on my 'ancient' Garmin iQue 3600):
  • Streetmaps
  • Topo & recreation
  • T4A
Each has its own application, so I switch on/off as I need them.

Currently I would look at the Montana 650 (costly, but I tend to either wait until I can afford it, or stretch the budget to buy the current 'best').

Gerhard,

The Montana 600 does everything that the 650 does except take photos. You may use your cell phone for that or even a cheap 'mik en druk'. The 600 is priced at around R1000 less than the 650 too.

Having just acquired mine after a two-month waiting period, let me state that this is an excellent choice and probably the closest replacement of all to the big daddy, the 276C.

-F_D

Family_Dog
Affiliate Member

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:06 pm

The nice thing about the 2460 is it's big screen. With the young age departing and the need to wear glasses, the big screen helps.
Heh... you found this too? :lol: :lol:

-F_D

Return to “Communication and Navigation Equipment”

Login · Register