Namib and Driving on Sand

Got stuck? How to get unstuck. How to use your Pajero.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: Namib and Driving on Sand

Wed May 23, 2012 7:10 pm

To whet your apatite
Attachments
100_1545.JPG
100_1536.JPG

KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Forgot about that rear bumper issue:)

Search on the Community forum for a thread called "My pajero is not a grader" or something similar from my memory.
You say you have 5 weeks left. Thats enough time to devise a plate you can add under your backside to prevent the sand pulling off your rear bumper.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Or you can drive like you didn't steal it and bring it back in one piece ;) . The picture shows my Pajero, with intact rear bumper, after the trip.

That said, the rear bumper is vulnerable and can be damaged easier than one would like. To modify is your decision.
Attachments
F1050020.JPG
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Thu May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

It comes off very easily in the sand...

You going in a SWB or LWB, i canna remember
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Roelof,

We did a Namib trip December 2010. Some advice:

Fit a bashplate from the rear of the suspension carrier to the plastic bumper. Make yourself, get a friend to make it. I made one a long time ago out of aluminium and has not had any problem with it. After every trip, I take it of and panelbeat it back into shape. The most "damage" caused to this plate was in the Namib sand - we have been down Van Zuls pass with a lot less "dents".

If you want to come and have alook at mine, you are welcome (Pretoria).

Drive in 4HLc whilst in the sand and if you have to go to 4LLc select the difflock "On". I fitted a difflock to my Pajero and can select difflock "On" in either high or low range. During the whole 5 day trip in the Namib, I never took it out of difflock.

As soon as you get to the real sand, deflate to 0.8bar.

Cloyd

Return to “Techniques (Driving, Recovery etc)”

Login · Register