Namibia Trip

Travel in style, or perhaps not? What to take, What to leave behind.
Ta
Tabatwa

Namibia Trip

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Just returned from 21days in Namibia.

Routing Ariamsvlei - CanonRoadhouse -Aus -Namib Desert Lodge (Soliaire)-Swakopmund - Etosha Safari Lodge - Waterberg Wilderness - Kalahari Farmhouse

Total distance travelled 8,500 Km ex Durban

Pulled Afrispoor Leopard Trailer.

Paj behaved well. Great tug. Easily maintained cruising speed of 120 KPH.

On way to Namibia fuel consumption was 15.5 L/100. After adjusting pressures to F 2.6 and R 3.0 consumption improved to 13.5 L/100.

All campsites were good. Gondwana operated sites stood out, especially Canon Roadhouse and Etosha Safari Camp.

Highly recommend Gondwana to all.

Only change I would make is to stay at Kalahari Anib Lodge rather than Kalahari Farmhouse.

Biggest challenge is no 50 ppm diesel.

My Paj is pretty standard other than High load coil spring / Air Helper on rear, and auxiliary fuel tank which adds 45 L.

The trailer has a 80 L NL in Fridge mode at 4 deg and a 80 L NL in freezer mode at - 18 was lashed behind the folded seat in the back of the Paj. Alternator kept all 3 deep cycle 105 ah batteries well charged.

All roads in great condition. Only one Police road check on whole trip. Very polite.

Fuel readily available. No need for Jerry cans on my route. Also R1.20 per L cheaper than ZA.

Shops have same range of foodstuffs and groceries as ZA similarly priced.

Disappointed with meat and biltong prices. Generally higher than ZA.

German tourists were a bit arrogant. Hogged the TV so we could not watch the Bok games.

Highly recomend Wale / Dolphin/ Seal boat trips at Walvis Bay.

Swakopmund also a great break from the bush routine especially for SWAMBO.

Highly recommend the Lighthouse burger at Lighthouse Rest in Swakopmund.

Always order the Hansard draught and if not available Tafel Lager is a great beer.

Weather during the day was great. Started with low as low as 3 degrees. On most days by 1100 temp was 26. Nights are very cold. Take thermal sleeping bags.

We will be back for more next year.

Owen and Elaine
Owepetershaw@gmail.com

pa
paw_by_paw

Re: Namibia Trip

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Tabatwa you know these trip reports are never complete without some photos and a wright up :mrgreen:
Still on my wish list though.
Chris
Vehicle: Pajero GLX

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Tabatwa, it seems you did not play in the sand. That is when you really appreciate a Paj.
Chris
Na
NamPajero

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi
Im originally from Namibia. reading your Post makes me miss Namibia especially since I was a safari guide for more than 12 years there. perhaps one day soon, Ill arrange a safari with the Family and take my Paj for some serious offroading!

David

Return to “Overlanding / Camping / Trail Equipment”

Login · Register